I spent all my bullets!!

donetao

Banned
Hi all you geeks. I have had a terrible day. Senior couldn't get on the internet. Things I done.
Restarted the Modem and the PC at least 6 times!
It said I had a good connection!
Sudden Link confirmed the connection was good!
Checked for Malware-No Malware!
Ran chkdsk- no bad sectors!
Ran sfc /scannow- Found errors that couldn't be fixed!
Hooked my laptop to ISP's modem- No problems connecting to the internet!
Flushed the dns- Every thing looked good!
Tried to restore to a earlier time- all attempts failed.
Tried to restore to last know config- Would not restore!
Senior did not have restore media! No back up images!
Last bullet-Restored back to factory- Still could not get on the internet.
The PC is a Dell tower-maybe 6 years old
IMHO there is bad hardware causing this problem. Back to factory should have fixed any software problems. The PC ran fine otherwise and the only problem was it wouldn't connect to the internet. I'm exhausted. Spent 6 hours trying to fix this problem. Now's your chance to reply to this thread with your suggestions of where I went wrong. Like I said the problem stayed exactly the same after a factory restore. That tells me it's hardware problems. OH by the way I don't do hardware. I'm to old for that.:hide:
Thanks fellow Geeks

Sounds like you need to add a USB to Ethernet adapter to your toolbox so you can test to see if the Ethernet port is the problem.

Does device manager say the LAN port is installed and working? Do the lights on the port blink and show activity?

If the Ethernet port is bad and built-in to the mobo, you can disable it in the BIOS and install a PCI card or a USB Ethernet.

Thanks strollin! I suppose it could be the internet port. I know the cable is good because I had no problems getting on the internet with my lap top. I checked the devise manager. Looked good but I reinstalled the realtec driver any way. The connection looks good in network and sharing center. The lights on the modem look good;all green. I'm sure the Ethernet port is part of the mobo, but I did not check.
Here's my question friend?? If I took the PC back to factory and still have the same internet problem, doesn't that tell you there's a hardware problem. I don't do hardware. I'm to dang old for that these days. I know I'm not the greatest repair person, but I'm the only free one that Golden Oaks has.LOL
Thanks for your suggestions Sir. You are appreciated. One other thing. I restored that same PC to factory about a year ago. Has been running great until today???
My guess is the mother board. When I tried to restore to a earlier time it acted like it didn't recognize the HDD. I tried at least 6 restore points and none of them worked.
I haven't had any thing like this before and I'm really upset that I couldn't fix this dang problem. My reputation will go to Hell around here.LOL
Thanks friend!

If windows reports a connection then it's something else. The hardware/software has to connect to the outside world to show the globe with out a red X in between the router and the globe.

While you're in the network page click on adaptor settings and make sure those settings haven't been tampered with.

Another alternative is to get a cheap NIC card and install it. A new one or even used shouldn't run over 10 dollars.

But it's strange that it's showing a good connection but not getting out. Try firefox or some other browser. IE may be having issues. It happens.

And get in to the router and see if the computer may be locked out. Ask your ISP to check that considering the problem it would take them longer to log in than to check on that. I had Sudden Link when I ran a hotel in North Carolina. Seemed to be a bunch of nice folks. Very helpful.

Hi setishock! Thanks for your reply. It's showing a good connection. In the network and sharing center it shows computer with two lined connected to the router and two lines connected to the globe. It looks good. The tray shows a good connection. There are no red X's any where. I tried different browsers. Firefox and IE. Neither would connect. The settings looked good. A sfc /scannow showed errors that couldn't be fixed. That was probably a different problem?? I'm really not into the hardware repair I'm to old and I just don't want to do that any more. I think the problem is the network card. I restored the computer back to factory setting and the problem remained. My lap top would connect just fine. IMHO I think it's the network card. Taking the computer back to factory should have ruled out any software problems. The problem remained. Anyway that's how I understand that!! I guess I just wanted someone to agree with me. The senior has a grand son that can take it to a repair shop. I just don't want to get into the hardware repair. Sudden Link looked at the modem and said it looked good and should connect to the internet. Yes they are nice people. They use to be a lot more helpful. It depends a lot on the person you get. Some know more than others and are more helpful.
Thanks for your reply. You are appreciated my friend! When I find out more, I will report the out come. I'm just disappointed that I couldn't fix it. I was sure going back to factory setting would fix the problem. Didn't work this time.
Thanks again setishock.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Is this what you're talking about?? I guess the Ethernet port could be the problem. The connection looked good to me and Sudden Link and I have never seen any thing like that before. Sudden Link helped me flush the dns and said it should connect?? When the sfc scan showed unfix-able errors, I went crazy and restored to factory,but still no connection. Worst computer day of my life!!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
This problem happens to us around once every 4-5 months. It always proves to be Suddenlinks gear. They will say that their connection is good, it shows as good but doesnt work on my end, I go through almost all of the steps that you did to try... they send a tech out, the tech swaps modems... boom, working connection.

Same story every time for me.

I suppose anything is possible but since he said he could connect his laptop to the cable and it would work fine that should mean that the modem/router is working correctly.

Donetao - Yes, that picture of the USB to Ethernet adapter you posted is exactly what we're talking about.

It is concerning that SFC won't run cleanly. Did you try again after the factory restore?

You have to consider that hardware wears out. At 6 years old you're pushing it. Your laptop worked but your desktop didn't with the same connection.

That would be hardware problem there.

By the way, when you buy branded systems they're not built with the best components they can get their hands on.

Back
Top Bottom