WE and COM surrogate crashing

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I got home a few weeks back to my little corner of the universe. While gone I snarffed up a WD MyCloudMirror NAS box. I run W7 home on my lappy and W7 pro on my desk rig. Both are in excellent operating shape. On the lappy I up dated the IE to version 11. On my desk rig it's still version 10. Both have the same issue I'm about to explain.

Since you can install an interface program for the WD box, that shows you a custom directory display, I went ahead and installed it. That's when the fun started. Ran fine until the next update Tuesday rolled around. I installed the urgent items and didn't bother with the rest. On the lappy it would not let me right click files or folders or the desktop for that matter. And it would restart windows explorer. Over and over and over. Every time I tried to open a file or right click, it would lose it's mind. I finally mapped the NAS as a network drive and stopped using the interface program. I went as far as uninstalling it but appears the damage was already done.

sfc /scannow showed no problem with system files. chkdsk show no problems with any drive hardware. I did a deep bug scan with ESET and Malwarebytes, both which both came up empty handed. Cleaned the reg. Didn't help.

Got the NAS box hooked up to a local router along with my desk rig and my lappy. Here's where the COM issues started. On the lappy it will pop up the COM error when I try to open a file, movie, or picture in the public folder on the NAS.

Here's when I confirmed it's something to do with the bloody WD program. I installed it on the desk rig. BIG MISTAKE. Now it's doing the same fracking thing.
It seems to settle down for a day or so then has these spastic fits. Then suddenly it stops.

It's close to time for my customary wipe and start over. Since I have both versions of w7 on disc, it's no big deal really. But right now would rather not jump the gun.

So any one got any ideas what the frack is going on? Oh BTW an inquiry to WD tech support got absolutely NO RESPONSE.

Mapping the drive resolves the issues. The software WD provides is actually the problem. Something in the program is wreaking havoc with the OS. I'm at the point I'm going to uninstall the software and go through the OS to make sure it's completely gone.

WD needed to do a lot of beta testing before they unleashed that software. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Oops... hope it turns out okay, maybe you could try uninstalling the program using "Revo Uninstaller," it's a third party tool that will run the standard uninstall process then scan the PC for leftover files, registry entries etc.

Well I got the search everything program and cleaned out the WD mycloudmirror software. Works nice. I did go behind it to make sure the reg was clear of the stuff.
Now time will tell.

I will put search everything on the cloud so I can get it on my laptop and get rid of the software there as well.

Thanks for the links.

Hi! You are very welcome! Search Everything is a great program. I also use regedit (F3) to clean the register, but you need to be careful cleansing left overs from the registry. That's why I don't recommend it very often. It is however necessary to clean the left behind registry items some times. Especially when removing some Security software. If you have ever had Norton installed on your PC, do a search for it. You will be surprised what is left behind!

Back
Top Bottom