My new flashlight

Celery

Golden Master
Some time ago I bought a "2000 lumens" flashlight from China on Amazon for $15. It was a lie as it's only about 400-450 lumens. It uses 2x18650 Li-Ion batteries. It's not a bad flashlight, just that it's not 2000 lumens.

I did some research and found the Candle Power forum so I joined them and asked about it. Very knowledgeable people and I learned a lot about flashlights, especially about LEDs. I asked for suggestions for a light and got several.

I decided on this Nitecore P36 which I found on Amazon for $82 and it uses 2x18650 as well. The batteries I got are one of the best, Simom made by Panasonic.

This is the real 2000 lumens flashlight and it's got some weight to it because of the heat sink.

I shone it in my back yard at the corner about 20 yards away. I used my camera without the flash so it's a little shaky but you can see how bright this sucker is.

I love this flashlight and it has some cool functions and ease of use. Well worth my money.

By the way, Amazon was the cheapest I found as the other sites were selling it for $130 to $200.

M_Low_Light_Shooting.jpg

This is the only reason I could think of!

Hi! I lost my bubble gum in the chicken yard one night!
I thought I found it 6 times!!
Wondering if this flash light would have helped me find my gum. LMAO!!
Never did find my bubble gum!!

The chip super bright flashlights use will suck the life out a battery in no time. So to give the brightness and some semblance of battery life, they use PWM. The controller actually pulses the LED several times a second. The fact your retina is relatively slow you retain the image you saw when the LED comes back on and refreshes your image. I have 2 low power LED flashlights that also use that method. AAA batteries in those will hold up for 5 hours continuous running.
I wish my mini-mag and it's full sized brother would last that long. The krypton bulbs I use suck the life out a set of batteries. Being ground zero in the gulf during hurricane season makes you want a seriously long run time flashlight or lantern for that matter.

Mine has ten levels of brightness from 2 lumens to 2000 lumens. It also has variable strobes, beacon and SOS. Cool little toy. :D

The batteries are rechargeable.

By the way Dray, Dark has it right. A full blast in a perp's face will confuse 'em. Hell, the strobe on it will make 'em go crazy.

Oh yeah, watch out guys, I'm drooling over the 4x18650 jobs. :eek:

Last edited:
Celery.The max out put of a cree (t6?) led is800-900 lumins. while there are flashlights with mulitple of these led's, anyone who says anything above 900 is lieing. Just a heads up :)

The cheap flashlight I got is a T6 and I found out afterward that this LED max out at 1000 lumens.

Someone in CPF tested the output of the P36 and it's 1850 lumens so close enough. Also it's a single bulb, an MT-G2.

Last edited:
My four element Cree T6 is not the 7000lm it claims, but it does the job. And eats battery.

So, I got a two element unit. It also does the job. I have not run it long enough to rate battery life.

I purchased a second two element unit, but this one has a USB power lead.

Night biking.

And for the record, shoot at the light.

Ahahaha, you think I don't see that small print? I don't plan to hold my light in front of me. :D

Also it's blinding as hell that I don't think you can see the flashlight itself.

Back
Top Bottom