Fox Hunting: Keep the ban!

They use 1080 poison baits to get rid of Foxes (and other wild dogs) around the Wide Bay area where I live.

This is being done to stop them digging up the Turtle eggs that have been recently laid on the turtle nesting beaches.

They use 1080 poison baits to get rid of Foxes (and other wild dogs) around the Wide Bay area where I live.

This is being done to stop them digging up the Turtle eggs that have been recently laid on the turtle nesting beaches.

heh, all the foxes do is occasionally knock over a bin or kill a chicken...

Fox hunting is a pomp and circumstance type of thing here, it's a pastime of the posh and priviliged, and a cruel one at that

For us non-Brits can you explain how the dogs are used here?

While I'm not expert hunter, in the US I only know of dogs being used to bring already-dead animals back to the hunter or to chase birds into the air. The emphasis is always on a clean, quick, humane kill so the animal doesn't suffer.

There's currently a law in place that doesn't ban hunting per say, it just regulates how it must be done.

Currently, only two dogs are allowed per hunt and only for the purpose of flushing the foxes out, the kill must be made with a gun.

however, how it used to be (pre-regulation in 2004) was a huge swarm of hounds would tear the foxes to pieces effectively. no guns were really ever used, they were just worn for show.

We want the ban on hound packs to remain in place, to prevent the needless suffering of animals that are no harm to anyone.

I agree. Foxes may be the pest to farmers but a pack of dogs to go after a single fox? Inhumane POS hunters.

Ex hunter (I would still be hunting if my eyes worked as well as they used to...) and huge animal lover here...
I was going to stay out of this thread, but I just had to say this; Anyone whom advocates the use of one animal to kill another deserves to know what that feels like.

The rules say they could use dogs to flush out the foxes... in all reality, on a large open estate the police aren't around, and the dogs still tear the fox to pieces themselves...

Back
Top Bottom