Wireless adapter problem

kemperhills1

Solid State Member
I have two computers in my office. One is an HP Compaq dx7200 slim tower running W7 Pro, SP1, the other is and older Dell Dimension running XP Pro, SP3.

Within the last month both computers has started having wireless adapter problems. The wireless adapter loses it connection with the ATT DSL router. Going in the NetGear genie shows this.

Then to get back online the NetGear 3100 has to be uninstalled, reinstalled and SSID, security type and password has to all be reentered.

I haven't had this problem until lately so what could cause it.

There are other wireless connections that don't have this problem. Only the two in my office at home. My son has an Xbox connected wirelessly and has no problems. Same with my wife who has a laptop[running W7], not my daughter who has a laptop and IPod that she streams on. And my daughter's room is further from the router than my office so I don't think it is distance.

And the dropping is beginning to happen more frequently. As this is quite irritating could anyone have an answer for this problem. Thanks.

Did you get a 2.4Ghz cordless phone and or a microwave oven around the time these problems started?

Hi! I would try updating the wireless driver on the W7 PC first. Not sure about the XP pro. Seems strange that this happens only in your office. Does your wife lose the connection while she's in your office?? If you post the make and model, someone can help with the wireless driver!! How often does this happen??

I think setishock is along the right lines thinking about some sort of interference.

Also, your WiFi is transmitted across a certain "channel," if you have two routers nearby which work on the same channel then you may get problems due to interference etc. Try changing the channel that your router is using.

Sometimes a particular brand router/adapter simply don't work together, it sounds ridiculous, but we had a Compaq CQ60 (HP G60) laptop that simply wouldn't connect to our router, but it connected to others absolutely fine, and when we purchased a wireless dongle the laptop was able to connect.

Last edited:
Did you get a 2.4Ghz cordless phone and or a microwave oven around the time these problems started?

No. thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Hi! I would try updating the wireless driver on the W7 PC first. Not sure about the XP pro. Seems strange that this happens only in your office. Does your wife lose the connection while she's in your office?? If you post the make and model, someone can

Have the latest update from NetGear. and my wife never uses her computer in my office, but my daughter does and she never has this problem. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I think setishock is along the right lines thinking about some sort of interference.

Also, your WiFi is transmitted across a certain "channel," if you have two routers nearby which work on the same channel then you may get problems due to interference etc. Try changing the channel that your router is using.

Sometimes a particular brand router/adapter simply don't work together, it sounds ridiculous, but we had a Compaq CQ60 (HP G60) laptop that simply wouldn't connect to our router, but it connected to others absolutely fine, and when we purchased a wireless dongle the laptop was able to connect.

Only one router in approximately the center of the house. Interference, well my two computer's are the only two affected and my home office is between my daughter's room and the router, so if it was interference surely it would affect my daughter's also. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Update. Got the XP computer fixed, but the W7 computer stills drops from time to time though not as often as the XP did. Can't find a reason why.

Thanks for the responses, sorry for the long time before responding.

Hi The driver I was referring to was not for your NetGear router! It's for your W7 network adapter. I just up dated mine and my down load went from 10mbps to 50Mbps:D

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 1
Check in your router as to how many users can be on at the same time. Some restrict how many to keep from over loading the connection. If that's the case then bump the amount up a couple then save and reboot the router. DSL is known for not playing well with a lot of users on at the same time.

I had Uverse in the 50Mb tier for 55 a month and with 7 users on at the same time it didn't miss a beat.

Back
Top Bottom