Hi! I'm donetao!

Hi strollin. I never worry about going back to W7. I always have a image that I can restore back to. I have restored a Macrium Reflect image to a brand new HDD before. I also have the W7 media on DVD's and a USB. I thank you for your reply. I guess I could create a new thread. I'm not sure if it would draw any interest. I can see that you don't think W10 is any good and you may be right. I'm not going to jump on the W10 upgrade right away. I'm sure there will be plenty of discussions about all this latter.
Thanks for your reply!!

Why not just Windows 10 previews in virtual machines instead of making images and switching back and forth all the time, Its what I do and prefer.

Hi strollin. I never worry about going back to W7. I always have a image that I can restore back to. I have restored a Macrium Reflect image to a brand new HDD before. I also have the W7 media on DVD's and a USB. I thank you for your reply. I guess I could create a new thread. I'm not sure if it would draw any interest. I can see that you don't think W10 is any good and you may be right. I'm not going to jump on the W10 upgrade right away. I'm sure there will be plenty of discussions about all this latter.
Thanks for your reply!!
I guess you didn't understand what I was saying. If what I was saying was true, it wouldn't have done any good to restore your image because your license for Win 7 would no longer be valid. It's a moot point anyway. I found this: What happens to my old license when I upgrade to Windows 10? - Microsoft Community which says that your Win 7 license will still be valid even if you upgrade to Win 10.

It's not that I think Win 10 is no good, it's just not worth the bother of upgrading. I will eventually have machines running Win 10 but that won't be until I build or buy them.

I'm with BK_123, VMs are my preferred way of testing new OSes and such. Much easier than creating and restoring images.

Personally I intend on upgrading as soon as possible. Microsoft will not simply cancel an Operating System roll-out, and in my line of work I need to have experienced all the modern Windows Operating Systems in order to support them. Plus you get a heap of new features.

I've never hated a Windows Operating System, Vista was a bit slow but as long as the PC was a decent spec it was okay. Windows 8 was a big change but having now got used to it I'm impressed with it's speed of operation. Windows 10 should perform just as quickly but with a more conservative start menu, which in my opinion is a welcome addition.

I'm with BK_123, VMs are my preferred way of testing new OSes and such. Much easier than creating and restoring images.
I've never ran a virtual machine. I live in a small cottage and I have a lap top. Not a lot of room. I can create a image in 15 minutes and restore a image in 30 minutes. I'm not into testing OS's. I'm a simple man with a simple plan. I may or may not up grade to W10. I'm sure I'm not going to do it right away.
Thanks for your advise and suggestions!

I personally haven't setup a dual boot system in many years. Once I started using VMs more than a dozen years ago, I see no point to dual booting. Besides, with dual booting I can only run one OS at a time, with VMs, I can run multiple OSes at the same time as long as I have the RAM and CPU power to support them.

On my i7 laptop with 12GB of RAM, I can easily have Win 8.1, Win 7 Ultimate and Win 10 Pro all running at the same time.

I personally haven't setup a dual boot system in many years. Once I started using VMs more than a dozen years ago, I see no point to dual booting. Besides, with dual booting I can only run one OS at a time, with VMs, I can run multiple OSes at the same time as long as I have the RAM and CPU power to support them.

On my i7 laptop with 12GB of RAM, I can easily have Win 8.1, Win 7 Ultimate and Win 10 Pro all running at the same time.
Pretty much the same here. I dualboot with Ubuntu, but its only got 30GB of the total space, and that is really the way that I like it. Until we get an HD with more storage, I prefer VM's as the virtual HD only takes up the space that you write to it.
(Oh, and I only dual boot Ubuntu because I do sometimes need to test things on ubuntu for compatibility with our rigs hardware rather than virtual hardware.)

Hey guys! I'm always thinking how to make the forum more interesting for our visitors.
Why not start a thread about "How to set up a VM"
I'll read it and might even try it!! You could include every thing you have on your PC and how to use all those things. I'm a simple man, but I'm sure there are plenty of interested users here that would be interested in VM's
Just a old man thinking out loud again!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom