Site Merger with Techist

The v4 upgrade was a real mess, took a couple of weeks to get everything back running properly. I think that was what started the database woes as well.

The original vB folks all left vB after 3.8. v4+ was built by other folk who did not know their stuff like the originals but thought they did. They added a lot of functionality but broke a lot more.

I use 4.2.2 at my multirotor forum. Haven't any problems with it. You just have to understand it's a lot different than vb3. Some things work great and some things not so great. You run with what works and leave the junk to rust.

I used vb3 for a good while before jumping to vb4. Did a lot of research and long nights running it on WAMP server on my desk system. When I ported it over to my host it worked fine.

It's not as bad as some make out. A lot of negative feedback came from those that didn't take the time to play with it first and get a handle on it. As for vb5 you can have it. That I have to agree is a quantum leap backwards.

I use 4.2.2 at my multirotor forum. Haven't any problems with it. You just have to understand it's a lot different than vb3. Some things work great and some things not so great. You run with what works and leave the junk to rust.

I used vb3 for a good while before jumping to vb4. Did a lot of research and long nights running it on WAMP server on my desk system. When I ported it over to my host it worked fine.

It's not as bad as some make out. A lot of negative feedback came from those that didn't take the time to play with it first and get a handle on it. As for vb5 you can have it. That I have to agree is a quantum leap backwards.

Pretty sure TF was one of the early adopters of 4.x.x (I honestly forgot the build we went to..) and it severely screwed the database... Even after fixing everything it was still buggy... Even after going back to 3.x.x the database is still raped IMO... (I still have trouble with a few specific searches).

Don't think many people really had time to "play" with it locally... Not sure if TF really had the resources or time, nor experience back then...

The main reason TF had the issues it did was because we jumped from 2.8 or so to 4.0, completely skipping 3.x altogether. Larry did a little testing beforehand (or so he said) but the upgrade took the site down for what, two days?

I am fine with 3.8.x myself. Any functionality we need can be added through plugins so everything should click once they have the current issues resolved.

This could pose a serious problem...
I tried to look into signing up for techist, only to find my username taken. "Draygoes".
Tried all of my passwords, and they did not work. Then I tried to enter my email thinking that I had signed up but forgotten my password, only to find that my email is not listed in the database.

Is there someone on that forum posting as "Draygoes"? That could be a huge problem for the merger if there is another Draygoes on that end...

I have sent the admins over there a message, but if anyone from the techist crew on here happen to know this other Draygoes, could you send them my way so that we can have a chat?

Last edited:
Well, this is the first time that I have ever encountered it, and it could cause trouble with the merge on both of the "Draygoes" accounts.

Oh no! There can't be 2 Draygoes in the world! LOL

Because there isn't... it's really our way of keeping him from sticking around after the merger... :angel:

Lol I couldn't even keep a straight face while typing that. Draygoes, if you haven't already I'd shoot Janet a PM so she can either A) straighten it out or B) bring it up to the rest of the admin team so they can have a contingency plan for things like that.

Because there isn't... it's really our way of keeping him from sticking around after the merger... :angel:

Lol I couldn't even keep a straight face while typing that. Draygoes, if you haven't already I'd shoot Janet a PM so she can either A) straighten it out or B) bring it up to the rest of the admin team so they can have a contingency plan for things like that.
Will do. I also have submitted a report on techist about this, because I am really curious as to who this other Draygoes is.

Cynthia created an account on there to find out who this other Draygoes is. Its ME from 2008!!! WOW!
Anyway, I had a different email account back then, and it is now gone so I need to figure out what password I used at the time was.

Yay! Problem solved!

Wow, that is so strange!!! I still cannot believe it lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom