Did god move on?

I am a Catholic too although I don't go to church due to handicaps that keep me from attending now. Respectfully I think you have your ideas about slavery in the bible wrong but not wrong in the fact that during Jesus Christs time there was horrible slavery by a very barbaric Roman army. Jesus though was not so much on earth to teach the Jewish people although he taught in the synagogue but to convert non believers like tax collectors and rich people.

To get non-believers to believe in him he had to talk in their own language and pretend like he wasn't interested in them. So Jesus used many parables about slavery to demonstrate how to qualify for heaven. One of my favorites basically goes like this a rich man left his plantation and had his head slave take over but first he had business with him and said you owe me some money. The slave said yes master I know but times have been hard. Very well then your debt is forgiven.

The head slave though wasn't so forgiving as his master was with him and even killed some people who owed him money. When his master came back he was very angry with his head slave and told him from now on you are expelled from my kingdom and dirt shall you eat.

I am not a bible scholar so those may not be the exact words but close enough and this was condensed for time but you get the picture of why the parable was said as it was. As for my own belief in God I just believe he suddenly came into being because he is God and then he created us. If you just look at you hands and feet and then think of how smart you are you realize something much smarter than any of us must have created us or we wouldn't be here.

I respect your views randy. But to me it just seems like the religious are twisting all the negativity in the bible in a way so they can accept it. I mean, how would you twist this quote to your liking?

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)
So do i really deserve to die just because i hit my dad. What if he was drunk one day and said some really hurtful things to me and i slapped him for it. Is it fair to be executed for something like that?
and btw, what happened to "thou shalt not kill"

Last edited:
... As for my own belief in God I just believe he suddenly came into being because he is God and then he created us. If you just look at you hands and feet and then think of how smart you are you realize something much smarter than any of us must have created us or we wouldn't be here.
Not to pick on you and your beliefs but this part of your thread illustrates some typical religious thinking. On the one hand it says that a perfect god just appeared out of nowhere but it's obvious that something really smart must have created us. If a perfect god could appear out of nowhere, why isn't it conceivable that human beings (and life in general) could have evolved from the primordial ooze over million of years?

Not to pick on you and your beliefs but this part of your thread illustrates some typical religious thinking. On the one hand it says that a perfect god just appeared out of nowhere but it's obvious that something really smart must have created us. If a perfect god could appear out of nowhere, why isn't it conceivable that human beings (and life in general) could have evolved from the primordial ooze over million of years?

But God did not appear out of nowhere. There was neither here or there or anywhere until He created it. That's what trips up most folk. We are locked in the finite but are trying to comprehend the infinite. Until God made time and space there was no time or space. Eternity is eternity with neither beginning or end.
;)

I respect your views randy. But to me it just seems like the religious are twisting all the negativity in the bible in a way so they can accept it. I mean, how would you twist this quote to your liking?

So do i really deserve to die just because i hit my dad. What if he was drunk one day and said some really hurtful things to me and i slapped him for it. Is it fair to be executed for something like that?
and btw, what happened to "thou shalt not kill"

The actual translation is murder, not just kill. Totally different word.

The old testament was the Law, as well as histories and prophetic writings. The Law was a hard taskmaster and you either measured up or you failed and everyone failed. It was for this reason the Law included sacrifices to cover these failures. So what has changed?

The new testament shows the beginning of the age of grace. The old is still there to teach us but we are no longer under the Law itself. The new testament does repeat some things from the OT as well as the Law and tells us that these things are still ongoing, however. Jesus reiterates what the OT said about the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman. He also repeats several of the commandments.

It's threads like this that detract from the bases of computer help forums. I'm not saying a healthy debate is wrong but every time a religious thread is started it just goes on and on and on. Feelings get hurt and people get pissed off.
If product reviews, help threads, and even bragging threads, got as much attention as these threads do, this place would be jumping out of the frame.

It's threads like this that detract from the bases of computer help forums. I'm not saying a healthy debate is wrong but every time a religious thread is started it just goes on and on and on. Feelings get hurt and people get pissed off.
If product reviews, help threads, and even bragging threads, got as much attention as these threads do, this place would be jumping out of the frame.

Yeah. We normally don't allow threads on religion, politics, and sex at Techist for those very reasons.

Ooh, thread on sex... :p

The thing is, politics and religion are always controversial, there's not much controversy surrounding a laptop repair!

Nobody has hurt my feelings personally, this is a forum at the end of the day, it's all about discussion, so anybody can have their own view! (unless it's illegal etc lol) I quite enjoy a healthy debate if I'm honest.

Yeah i feel like this thread has evolved to an Atheist vs Theist thread. That's not what the original post was about.

Hi! My thoughts are very simple about all this. I try to do to others as they do to me.
If there is a God and eternal life, it seems like a good deal. If there isn't a God, then life will end for me and I won't know or care.
donetao!!

Back
Top Bottom