Suggestion to have a malware section!

donetao

Banned
Hi! I agree that a malware section might get more people interested in the forum and draw new members.
I read this thread and I'm really interested! http://www.computerforums.org/forums/site-admin-news-feedback/community-activity-225717.html
Here's my 2 cents about malware and infected computers, however. I live in a retirement center and help seniors with computers for free. I have cleaned a ton of infected PC's and here's my theory. Malware hunters are over rated. I have several programs I use. Here's my list and the order I use them.
Malwarebytes anti-root kit
Adwcleaner
Malwarebytes Free
ESET on line scanner
JRT
Malwarebytes Free again
Maybe one more on line scanner( TrendHouse Call) and Combo Fix as a last resort!

If the PC is still infected and not running right, I save the data and restore to factory settings. Some times that is the best and quickest way when a PC is really infected with root kits and the really bad guys.
It works for me, but I really like the idea of the forum starting a malware section and helping members learn how to clean infected computers!:hide:
That would be great! Count me in!!

donetao, please be aware that computerforums and tech-forums (Techist) are both going to be merging into one large forum soon.

Just saying, right now, it's pointless for either community to add any new forum/sub-forum since we will be merging and changing a lot soon. XD

Hi! When will this merging take place?? When you have the computer in front of you, it's a lot different than cleaning a PC through a help forum like this one. I have observed a lot of help forums and they all have different programs they use. There is more to it than just cleaning up malware. I can see if the PC has more than one AV running, several tool bars, out of date software and I can observe if the PC is running like it should. No lags,no pop-ups, no redirects ect. You don't have that luxury when you clean up PC's through help forums and you have to have programs and the OP to help you find those things. I just don't want to spend a year and a half learning all that, but I would love to learn those things like was mentioned in that thread that was started here about malware. I can just recommend programs and things I look for when cleaning infected PC's.

The merge is on-going. No hard-set date on when it will be done. The thought process is "done right" not "done fast" so they're taking their time.

Based on your last post, it looks like everything you'd want the new section to do is covered by our "Cyber Safety and Computer Security" section: Cyber Safety and Computer Security - Computer Forums and Techist's "Viruses, Spyware and Malware" section: Viruses, Spyware and Malware - Techist - Tech Forum

Both sections are filled with posts on what to look for, tools to use, people's opinions on best practices etc. Particularly after the merge, I'm not sure what value a new section would add that we don't already have.

Thanks! I'll give those links a better look. I guess what I'm asking, will there be a section for malware, that only trained members can help with after the merge?
I'm very interested in malware and always ready to learn new things to help the seniors in my village. I do pretty well, but I'm sure there are things I need to learn.
Thanks for your reply!!

What would define a "trained member"? Limiting who can help someone with an issue tends to defeat the purpose of a forum and could delay the poster getting the help they need.

Not sure if he is or not but let's say Dragoes isn't trained and has no "in the field" experience doing PC repair as a real (not just for cash) job. He wouldn't necessarily be considered a trained member, where I with my years working at a repair shop would. That said I'd trust him to provide the poster with the help they needed to the very best of his ability and in the case of malware probably just as well if not better than I could based on possible first-hand experiences with what the poster is seeing.

Hi! celegorm! Thanks for your reply. I liked your answer and I agree. Could you give me your opinion about Combo Fix. The trained malware fighters say it may brick your PC. I admit I have only used it a couple of times, but it didn't brick any thing. In your years working at a repair shop, what are your thoughts about Combo Fix. Is it safe to use?? I saw where is was in the tool box. I have only been cleaning PC's for about 4 years, but i haven't bricked any yet!
Thank you!
donetao!

Hi! celegorm! Thanks for your reply. I liked your answer and I agree. Could you give me your opinion about Combo Fix. The trained malware fighters say it may brick your PC. I admit I have only used it a couple of times, but it didn't brick any thing. In your years working at a repair shop, what are your thoughts about Combo Fix. Is it safe to use?? I saw where is was in the tool box. I have only been cleaning PC's for about 4 years, but i haven't bricked any yet!
Thank you!
donetao!
I know you where asking Celegorm on this, but I would be more than willing to help as well. Combofix does not normally cause any problems, but if the correct conditions are present it will. Those will be noticed and picked up by anyone with experience.

Short answer: It probably wont hurt you, but you should never rely on somthing like that to solve all your problems or even for normal cleaning, and you should always be careful.

For the record, I have seen it brick computers before.

EDIT
I would like to add that I completely agree with Celegorm when it comes to "Trained Posters" as well. Its not just limited to who does what, but can reach as far out as one person having more experience with one problem than others. That means that two different Trojans (wide term but still) can and usually do require totally different removal experience. Limiting the removal of such things to spacific people can mean that somebody who knows more about an infection can end up not being allowed to help. I used to be part of a malware removal forum (not sure if I should name it here), and we actually had that problem several times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom