Windows Tools you use!!

There are a lot of good programs for maintaining your PC.
I have tried to post this twice. A must tool is the windows repair disc. This will allow you to boot into the windows recovery mode. Not sure why it's not posting.Maybe because I'm attaching a link. Not criticizing the forum, but I'm starting to understand why new members aren't active. We don't know if we're waiting for our posts to be reviewed by staff or if they aren't exceptionable. I read the rules and they say links are accepted to attach to posts.

There is a built in Windows repair programme that will repair anything that is not working. I can nor remember the name of the programme now.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

There is a built in Windows repair programme that will repair anything that is not working. I can nor remember the name of the programme now.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums
Hi Windows has several built in repair features. I'll try to list a few. I'm not familiar with the program you are talking about. Here's some I'm familiar with!!
chkdsk
sfc /scannow
memory diagnostics
system repair
reset or restore back to factory
restore to a earlier time
back up image
clean boot
safe mode
CMD
msconfig
restart and hard power shut down

That's all that come to mind at the moment, but I'm sure I missed some

Restore to factory defaults is not a windows function. It's a function added by the maker of laptops and other prebuilt systems. After you use that you have to go back and clear all the garbage makers load on to your computer. Pain in the gazootenblatz. Handy tool to have when things go horribly wrong however.

sfc /scannow and chkdsk are not a windows function either. They're DOS. You have to invoke the command line interpreter in order to use them. In other words you have to put windows in DOS mode. Some functions had to be able to run on their own so they used DOS to run them.

As for sfc /scannow, if you put your OS disc in the drive and don't let it load, you have an uncorrupted copy of the system files reference folder. This is what sfc /scannow uses to compare what is used in the OS to what the files should really look like. Not a lot of people know you can do that.

Good stuff setishock!! Thanks for your reply. You said it very well and very accurate also. Great point about the OS disk and sfc ;your are right"Not many people know that" The best tool is a back up image of your OS on a external drive with a 3rd party program like Macrium Reflect!! If you have that tool, you are almost bullet prof.

If you create interesting threads that members can post on, then this forum will grow and will be active. Lets Get-Er-Done- people!
donetao

I don't really think of those as tools as I'm so used to using them lol, I remember using fixmbr on some older machines and that sort of thing.

Stuff like the following can be helpful too: ipconfig /release, ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /renew

Hi! It's always a lot of work going back to factory. That's why I always have a clean image of my OS on a external drive. You can however to a repair install and not have to start from ground zero. I will attach a link for that, but it will probably have to be approved by staff. I'll give it a try.
Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums

Back
Top Bottom