Random Chit Chat

Mercedes 1998 W140 S500 long wheelbase:
MERCEDESBENZS-Klasse-W140--1893_8.jpg

Oh... My... Good!

Just look at this baby!

What's that?

Well, at least I'm sticking with reality wanting something that officially and really exists :D

Ever driven one of those? The looks is a thing and the experience is another. I own a compact version of it, this one:
893348_501835103238591_2133306317_o.jpg

a 1993 W124 300E (E-class and the former was S-class) and it rivals modern cars of its class in comfort and fun. I took that photo like 2 years ago.

A third generation Intrepid? Three did exist before Dodge had it crushed. It's (The first generation ones, made back in 93) one of the first cars to move the wheels towards the outer portions of a car (Forward Cab Design) to give more leg room, and actual stability on the road. It also had a fairly high power rating for a full sized sedan back in 1993 at a relatively low cost. However, the transmission design was poor... Engine sat like it would be a rear wheel drive car, but the car was front wheel drive, caused excessive forces on the internals of the transmission in the end. The second generation of intrepids had a new body style, and different engines with upgrade transmissions, they could handle far more torque, but, with an already bad name because of transmissions from the first generation, sales was low. To finish it off, a lot of the 2.7L engines had the water pump inside the timing chain area, as well as the weep hole. At about 40-60k miles, the engine would sludge up horribly due to water getting into the oil, and eventually complete failure of the engine.

The third generation intrepid (think it was planned for 2006+ years) was supposed to be a hybrid. It achieved insanely high fuel mileage because of the proto-type containing carbon fiber paneling, and the frame being ultra-light weight aluminum. However, due to the last two generations suffering either from major transmission or engine issues, the line had a bad name. To top it off, the third generation would cost almost three times as much as any generation prior to it due to using, what was rare materials at the time. In the end, Dodge decided to kill the LHS (Intrepid, New Yorker, LHS, Concorde and a few others I think) line off entirely and scrapped the only three proto-types (ESX1, ESX2, ESX3) they ever built to recover some of the cost from all the light weight metals.

To be fully honest, the Gen3 intrepid, existed before Gen1, but it took them from ~91 to ~06 to decide to give up on the project entirely.

The first proto-type was valued at $90,000... Far more than anyone would be willing to pay. No telling how much the third proto-type costed, but, if I remember right, like 80 or 90 percent of the car could easily be recycled, only the battery pack in it couldn't be easily recycled.

First and Second Proto-Type from what I could find:
nysho089.jpg

Third Proto-Type I think... This one is harder to find info on:
the-green-chrysler-inline-1-photo-442012-s-original.jpg

In the end, the Intrepid had too much going against it because of rushed thinking, and demands from all corners, bean counters wanted the highest profits, while consumers wanted something in the $25,000 area with high fuel mileage, that just couldn't be achieved with the technology back then.

Fair enough. Comfort is what counts. :thumb:

I'm happy with my 2003 Ford Taurus SES. Now that's a comfy machine.

Attachments

• S5030002.jpg
    S5030002.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Cool!

Does it have the drawbacks of the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis?

You know, like the A/C with lack of controls and the seat belt buckle location that feels it's gonna pierce your rear?

Back
Top Bottom