R9 390 and 390X

So far the R9 3xx series have been disappointing to me. The current cards in that series have the exact same chip as the R9-2xx counter part. They are basically just slightly overclocked and have some tweaking here and there.
I know some cards in the 3xx series are gonna arrive later with the new chip called Fiji. But it's just wrong tweaking a R9-290 and calling it 390. It's not a generation ahead at all.
Downclock the cards to their 2xx counterpart's specs and they are gonna perform pretty much identically.

I would say the reason we are seeing mostly a refresh is because of Fiji... Seems anytime these manufactures introduce something entirely different anymore, they do a refresh for most the cards and leave the new tech to the highest end of the series that wont be out till a little later... Probably just gives them time to figure out how to use Fiji next generation, as well as overcome any hurdles that this generation might show later on. Fiji does sound very smexy, especially these dual Fiji equipped cards. But I was thinking the R9-390X was Fiji equipped?

Back
Top Bottom