Hdds for dell servers

What rack mount server are you using? Usually the answer is no, Dell puts a firmware update on their drives that make it to where Dell servers will only read off of those drives.

Up until around 2011 you were able to purchase off brand (or other branded) drives and put them in rack mount servers and their Equallogic storage systems. At some point a few years back they started putting specific firmware on their drives that made it to where you could not put a drive in a Dell branded server without that special firmware.

Try it - I know for a fact it doesn't work with their Equallogic brands, but i have yet to try and replace a rack mount drive with another branded drive.

He's right about that. They've gotten as bad as Apple.
Use another brand server blade if you can.

I don't own a server as such at the moment it's a project a fancied starting somewhere I used to use a laptop to run as a file server recently with some help configured a old tower to run as a file server so the laptop can get a break it is my plan in the future to build a decent file server

eBay has loads of refurbished server rack mounts
Preferably something not extremely powerful
Lots of hdds

For now I have been looking at old servers should do the job

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271891770696&globalID=EBAY-GB

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271844139813&globalID=EBAY-GB

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=361241945722&globalID=EBAY-GB

I don't no nothing about servers only computers acting as servers so a lot of details would be appreciated

What would be the maximum size hdds that could be used eg 1tb per bay
What type of hard drives would work

Would these units work on there own or would it need other parts apart for hdds

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

I don't own a server at the moment lex I was interested in buying a second hand dell storage server and working up from there to maby eventually brand new racks

At the moment I use a old tower to file share :(

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

I have read that dell had removed the firmwire off the older servers to allow compatibility to other drives

What rack mount server are you using? Usually the answer is no, Dell puts a firmware update on their drives that make it to where Dell servers will only read off of those drives.

Up until around 2011 you were able to purchase off brand (or other branded) drives and put them in rack mount servers and their Equallogic storage systems. At some point a few years back they started putting specific firmware on their drives that made it to where you could not put a drive in a Dell branded server without that special firmware.

Try it - I know for a fact it doesn't work with their Equallogic brands, but i have yet to try and replace a rack mount drive with another branded drive.

Yes I read here that they had removed the firmwire

Dell reverses position on 3rd party drives | Standalone Sysadmin

Back
Top Bottom