R9 390 and 390X

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
4k gaming just got affordable?

8GBs of GDDR5 at 6100MHz, 2816 stream processors, 384-bit memory bus, 275W TDP and all that good stuff. It's all very similar to the 980Ti except the Ti costs twice as much. I've always loved NVIDIA but I'm starting to question myself now...:angel:

What do we think?

Wow I was just about to buy a 970, might be changing my mind now ........

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Not impressed. From the benches I've seen the R9 390X barely beats the 290X and provides about the same performance as a 980 but at a higher TDP. I'm tired of AMD constantly refreshing their chips. However I also saw some 4K benches or conditions in which the VRAM usage was high where the 390X pulled ahead of its 290X predecessor quite noticeably. But I still feel like AMD is just playing catchup and not innovating enough. Nvidia is all prepped and ready for DX12 with lots of great features supported on Maxwell. Mantle is a bust in my opinion and AMD wasted time going down that route. Nvidia knows Direct X will always be the main API

I seen something that the new 390 and 390X can beat in the 980TI in a lot of games don't know if its true..

Yep, let's forget Nvidia screwing up and ending up in a bad class action lawsuit over memory and bad advertising. :)

Honestly, if the card is cheaper than a card that beats it only by 2FPS or so, then I would rather go with the cheaper card if it's a hundred cheaper.

AMD cards work better with Intel CPUs than they do with AMD CPUs :p They put an i7 in the crazy little concept machine they built with Fury X GPUs because even AMD know that Intel make better CPUs at the high end, and they tend to stay cooler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZSq5i8lUJI

the 3.5GB VRAM thing on the GTX 970, they said it was a 'miscommunication between our technical team and our marketting team'. Seems legit, though you think they'd have, well you know, checked before showing it off to the world.

TECHNICALLY it does have 4GB, but it's 3.5GB of highspeed GDDR5 and then 500MB in a seperate section, I can't remember exactly how it works but most games can only see 3.5GBs.

AMD released a statement saying it would sell better with an i7, but that there will be offerings with AMD chips on Project Quantum.

Back
Top Bottom