No Win 8.1 update

No number under the HDD cover, but I did break a couple tabs getting it off. Won't stay tight now. Found a 25 digit number under the battery, but it has zeros and letters in it. When I tried to put a number in before, it said zeros were invalid. Still won't update.

8.1 should really download/install itself okay without using a licence key... the fact the download/install started at all indicates it already knows it's licenced.

Has the prompt reappeared?

Not the one about the product key, but it has prompted twice since then to update to 8.1. I'm guessing that there is a corrupt file on my C drive that won't let it update.

So, it's prompting, therefore as far as Microsoft is concerned the PC is licenced, you're correct, it would seem like a local PC issue. Can you try installing 8.1 again?

Well, I finally got back to Win 8.1. It started updating again, and when it got to 82%, I just kept tapping the spacebar until it finished. Having lot's of browser problems, and am running Waterfox for now. Can't run Chrome or Firefox. They collect too much crap, and don't play videos correctly. Can't wait to try out Windows 10.

What kind of errors are you getting? I have trouble playing videos on Yahoo as it uses the Brightcove player and always get an error in Chrome but no problems in IE or Firefox. In Chrome from version 42 and higher NPAPI plugins don't work https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213033?hl=en

NPAPI support has ended
In the past, many plugins were developed using an older system called NPAPI. Today fewer sites are using NPAPI plugins and they can sometimes cause security risks on websites.

To make browsing with Chrome safer, faster, and more stable, we're ending support for NPAPI plugins with Chrome version 42.

Back
Top Bottom