Seeking help buying new laptop

ep2002

In Runtime
Hi all,

So my current laptop is the Asus K55N-DB81

Anyway, I bought a laptop almost 2 years ago & I had problems with it almost from the beginning. While I thought some of the issues were Windows 8, I'm sure some of them were Asus issues too.

Since they treated me like garbage at Asus & their tech support is TERRIBLE (I wasted over a month trying to get things resolved), I will NEVER EVER buy an Asus product again. They don't believe in customer service & if you look at their BBB page, there's a RED warning I've never seen on anyone's BBB page before.

The thing is useless now & I can barely work with it.

Now onto what I need:

1. I want a company that has an office here in the US & they treat their customers well. Also an Executive Response team for when tech support isn't working.

2. I had an HP before, wasn't in love with it. My first ever laptop in '97 was Toshiba & their customer service was terrible b/c they had tech support guys manning it, but I heard that's changed. Someone mentioned this one will take Win 7 - Toshiba satelitte L50d-b but I can't find it anywhere on New Egg or Tiger Direct.

3. I do camming, so I am learning that if I have multiple camming sites open, there's too much lag even if I have high Internet speeds. Even when I close them down the lag is terrible. I didn't realize until this week that camming is the same thing as being a gamer.

I guess the Asus' processor is terrible & probably the graphics card as well. I can't blame them for that though, as I didn't choose this laptop & at the time I wasn't camming.

Someone said I need an off board graphics card, but how do you get that for a laptop?

4. It has to be able to take Win 7 although I just learned today that any laptop can take Win 7 if you change something in the bios. I was misinformed by several people.

I don't need a ton of HD space. I have 698 GB & it's not even half full.

5. I need a built in cam, but I have an external so it doesn't have to be great.

6. I use my own mouse, but the keyboard, I'm using now has num keypad & I'm used to it, although I think they all come with that now, correct?

7. Screen size, the same as the Asus one which I think is 15.1

8. Price range - $400-500

I'm furious I have to buy a new one when I don't have the money because of Asus laptop, but I live to learn.

I appreciate all the help you can give me.

Thank you

I'm not familiar with laptops to help you with but Win 7 were always available on Newegg so I don't get your problem there.

?

I didn't ask anyone for help with my Win 7 issues, so you seem confused.

If you don't know about hardware, this isn't the thread for you.

Thank you

?

I didn't ask anyone for help with my Win 7 issues, so you seem confused.

If you don't know about hardware, this isn't the thread for you.

Thank you

Can you not be so rude and ungrateful. Just be grateful that he tried to help..

Tried to help? LOL, you are kidding right?

I asked for help on which laptop to get, nothing to do with Win 7.

Sorry, but I can't stand people who don't read or understand. If that makes me rude then I guess I am.

Not at all dear.

I'm not going to argue with someone that proclaims to have read something that isn't there. I learned a long time ago not to argue with stupid.

The fact that you agree with them also speaks volumes, but that's your issue.

Now since this site doesn't seem to be anyone here helping. people are way off base on anything I wrote, or you are trying & put me in my place just b/c you have nothing better to do with your time, I'll go elsewhere to find my answers & I'm unsubscribing, so any bashing I won't see.

I thought this was a smart forum, but I guess it's not.

All the best

1. Unfortunately it's not in these companies best interests to provide extensive support for non-commercial users, and I've never personally dealt with customer support as I personally fix any issues myself. From a commercial support perspective I've always found Dell to be very good, and I've always found HP/Toshiba laptops to be of a very high standard. If you want a more budget machine ($400 won't get you premium), then you won't go far wrong with Lenovo.

2. On most laptops you should be able to disable the "UEFI" boot/bios option, for legacy support related to older operating systems (and linux based distributables). Most laptops should have this option, but if in doubt, find a laptop you like, go into a retailer (or search google) and check the particular model yourself. Just because a review online says the laptop has this feature, doesn't mean the latest BIOS revision does.

3. Unfortunately a new laptop will probably not improve the lag if it's internet related, however, if the lag is related to a lack of resources on the PC, then a laptop with a larger amount of RAM will allow you to have more programs open at a single time with less slowdown.
You don't need an external graphics card for displaying yourself on webcam over the internet, it'd be a waste of money.

4. Any laptop can take Windows 7 (potentially, might be a couple of niggly issues), IF you can disable UEFI boot.

5. Most laptops do come with an internal one at even your budget pricepoint, this shouldn't be a problem.

6. Most laptops don't come with an extended UK keyboard (separate numpad), most have a numpad activated using the "Fn" key and using some of the letters on the right hand side of the standard keyboard.

7. I'm not aware of any 15.1 inch laptops. A 15.4 inch laptop would be closest, but these are not produced anymore (to my knowledge) as most laptops now come with widescreen, not more square screens. A 15.6 inch laptop is probably the norm.

8. $400-$500 will get you a fairly budget machine, but as you don't need an external graphics card etc, then it should fit your requirements.

As for the comments ep2002, I believe Celery was trying to explain to you that you can buy laptops with Windows 7 on them already, which was actually a very INTELLIGENT comment, saving you both the hassle of checking legacy support, and saving you money on the purchase of an old operating system.

The following laptop would probably fit the bill (also comes with free shipping): www.amazon.com/ThinkPad-20DH002QUS-A6-7000-Computer-Warranty/dp/B00SGD4B4Y/

Again, I'd like to reiterate that customer support for consumer laptops always seems to be lacking, a lot of technical requests end up with warranty claims, and the company would sooner take your money than give you a free fix! It's always best to check out a forum if you can to try and resolve issues yourself.

1. Unfortunately it's not in these companies best interests to provide extensive support for non-commercial users, and I've never personally dealt with customer support as I personally fix any issues myself. From a commercial support perspective I've always found Dell to be very good, and I've always found HP/Toshiba laptops to be of a very high standard. If you want a more budget machine ($400 won't get you premium), then you won't go far wrong with Lenovo.

Thanks Joe, never had a Lenovo, I'd be more inclined to go with Toshiba. as I mentioned. Dell scares me with all the horror stories I read years ago.

2. On most laptops you should be able to disable the "UEFI" boot/bios option, for legacy support related to older operating systems (and linux based distributables). Most laptops should have this option, but if in doubt, find a laptop you like, go into a retailer (or search google) and check the particular model yourself. Just because a review online says the laptop has this feature, doesn't mean the latest BIOS revision does.

Yeh I just learned that yesterday & was surprised that I had been misinformed by the techie who told me it couldn't be done. Someone else who also claimed he used to be a techie didn't correct me, so he thought that also.

Who would be the one to tell me that I can do it? I have to call the manufacturer I'm assuming, right? New Egg & such won't know, they are VERY untech savvy.

I won't be buying this from a store, as online has the best deals. It's either New Egg, Tiger Direct, or Amazon & Amazon usually doesn't have the best pricing.

Even if I went into Best Buy, I wouldn't trust anyone in there to give me correct info. They are a bunch of kids who know very little, although I'm sure some of the stores have the odd gem in there.

3. Unfortunately a new laptop will probably not improve the lag if it's internet related, however, if the lag is related to a lack of resources on the PC, then a laptop with a larger amount of RAM will allow you to have more programs open at a single time with less slowdown.
You don't need an external graphics card for displaying yourself on webcam over the internet, it'd be a waste of money.

Well I already have 6 on this laptop, so unless it's the Win 8 issues, it's not helping/working. 6 should have been enough you think?

And I won't know 100% if it's the ISP until I go to another location & try it out which I can't do right now.

Ok, this isn't about displaying myself on one cam, it's 4 cams at once. That's where the issue is. But when I first started doing 4, I didn't have as much lag as I do now. Even now when I shut down 1 or even 2 or 3, I still get lag. I shouldn't have to reboot the computer every time I add on or take away a cam.

I can't even type on one of the sites, I have to click into the field 5-10 times to make sure what I'm typing shows up & then it takes 30-40 seconds before I can see it.

6. Most laptops don't come with an extended UK keyboard (separate numpad), most have a numpad activated using the "Fn" key and using some of the letters on the right hand side of the standard keyboard.

Ok, I guess it's different in the UK, b/c here in the US when I was buying the Asus, almost every laptop I looked at had the num pad on the right. Maybe a few that were really cheap didn't.

7. I'm not aware of any 15.1 inch laptops. A 15.4 inch laptop would be closest, but these are not produced anymore (to my knowledge) as most laptops now come with widescreen, not more square screens. A 15.6 inch laptop is probably the norm.

Ok the fan/cooler stand I bought takes upto a 17. That's my only concern. The Asus sounds like its overheating all the time when it really reves up or gets hot, so I bought the cooler.

Sorry if I said the wrong screen size.

8. $400-$500 will get you a fairly budget machine, but as you don't need an external graphics card etc, then it should fit your requirements.

9. I'm still not understanding how you can have an external graphics card. Please explain. That other forum did think I should be getting a gaming laptop.

10. Also what is the difference between a multimedia laptop, & a gaming laptop?

11. What I also need to know, is the min. processor for doing this kind of work.

As for the comments ep2002, I believe Celery was trying to explain to you that you can buy laptops with Windows 7 on them already, which was actually a very INTELLIGENT comment, saving you both the hassle of checking legacy support, and saving you money on the purchase of an old operating system.

Ok, I think part of the problem here is that she may have been outside North America or the US.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anywhere in the US you can buy a new laptop with Win 7 on it. When I got this Asus almost 2 years ago I couldn't even get Win 7 on it. Now if you go to a private small shop, then yes, they may be willing to put it on for you & I remember someone telling me that some shops were getting tons of business by advertising that their laptops would come with Win 7 on it, but that's b/c they installed it on there, not b/c the laptops came with Win 7 on it.

MS doesn't even make it anymore & I even called them & asked them how much it was 2 years ago. I had to buy an OEM or one that had Dell on the CD just to get a copy.

They don't want anyone using Win 7, that's why they told (I'm pretty sure this is correct) the hardware manufacturers NOT to let their hardware work with Win 7.

Back when Win 7 was new, you could still put XP on brand new laptops & no one had to go thru this BS, so clearly something has changed recently.

If I want it, I have to go thru hell now to get it on a new computer. That's all I know, b/c I won't touch the Bios without a professional walking me through it via the phone/SK, etc.

Based on what I said above, please LMK if you still only recommend this Toshiba laptop, & I hope you were looking in the US since that's where I'm buying them from.

I have to assume (don't bite my head off), that the latest & greatest comes out of the US, although I know Germany's SD HDs are cheaper than here.

Would an SD drive help with the lag?

Again, I'd like to reiterate that customer support for consumer laptops always seems to be lacking, a lot of technical requests end up with warranty claims, and the company would sooner take your money than give you a free fix! It's always best to check out a forum if you can to try and resolve issues yourself.

Yeh any time I have a problem with a laptop, it's not something anyone on here can fix. With Asus it was the Win 8 key. The wifi, the ethernet connector, the fan, the power button & more.

I lost a whole month dealing with Asus' stupidity. They didn't know how to get it from the bios or MB & I spoke to at least 4 different people. This was after a refresh I did b/c the wifi didn't work when I needed it to.

In fact after all that, when I filed the complaint with the BBB, whoever responded to the complaint provided a NEW & DIFFERENT solution that was NEVER mentioned by anyone I spoke to including the equally stupid supervisors. So I guess when you write on the BBB, you get better tech support. LOL

Hint everyone: Complain right away on the BBB. I couldn't even get the Asus site to work. I tried to e-mail them at least 8 times & only once did the form work. And yes I tried on a secondary browser just in case.

In the end I had already paid someone to get me the key off the computer, so their suggestion on the BBB was a moot point.

Like I said, HP wasn't half bad with their tech support even though I wouldn't call them brilliant by any stretch.

I didn't like that the computer was a lemon, but at least they picked up the phone, spoke English & in the end replaced the computer & I think that was twice. Now mind you that was back around 2010/11.

Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom