RDP Problem

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So I am having an issue with RDP in Windows 7 Ultimate. When I am at home I sometimes like to access my laptop from another computer in the house. Now I whenever I go to remote in it just starts the session, Does the login to my account and just quits without even loading the desktop. Remote Desktop is enabled in the system properties and the services are set to start automatically and the firewall is configured correctly. I can connect to another machine from my laptop but not the other way around.

Are the other machines XP?

Ensure network discovery is enabled on the Windows 7 laptop. It will allow other devices on the network to connect to the device (sounds like it's already enabled if you are hitting the loggin screen - something to check though).

Is your laptop running Win 7 Home Premium by any chance? A machine running Win 7 HP can only serve as a client, not a host for RDP. Only machines running Win 7 Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise can act as a host.

I am talking to someone at Microsoft Answer Desk and the guy doesn't know to do and keeping thinking I am trying to do something remote apps :facepalm:

Both are updated, Also tried updating the remote desktop client software but its already got the latest version. Was a waste of time talking to someone at Microsoft.

Ok I've installed a free network monitor and it shows all the current connections but the ports that it uses aren't listed there, So should it be always listening for incoming connections?

RDP uses port 3389 - you could just run a telnet test from the command line to see if the port is open.

I don't think it's the port though, by default if you enable network discovery on the computer you want to control it should open that port. To be safe you could turn firewall off completely.

I keep getting this error message when I try enable Telnet.

Am1qCrz.png

Back
Top Bottom