Build Help

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. I am thinking of doing another build but maybe AMD based, I am looking for around for motherboard that is up to scratch based on something like the FM1 socket. I'd be using this for gaming and running virtual machines. Doesn't need to be able to run the most latest titles but it'd be nice to run GTA 5. I am looking at a CPU like the A8-3870K, Any good for my uses? Right now I am focused on find motherboard, CPU and ram.

All up to date (and even last gen) CPU's that have 4 cores performs pretty much identical in most games.
Games are more GPU depended than anything else combined.

Problem is that that CPU is about 4 years old. You shouldn't buy it

From my experience the Phenom chips seemed to deliver better gaming performance than the FX chips "clock for clock," but for the currently released chips you're better off with an FX chip with an Nvidia graphics card. (I'd recommend Nvidia dedicated cards all day long to be honest, not a fan of AMDs offering at the moment.)

That should work just fine. You properly have noticed that it comes with only 2 RAM ports. That shouldn't matter for most people though, but have you also noticed that i doesn't support analog surround sound? That is a deal breaker for me. It also appears to only have 6 USB ports. I would feel more comfortable buying a board with 8.
The first 5 of my USB ports are already covered by my input devices and headset.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom