Windows 7 Startup Delay Before Login Screen

ryevick

Solid State Member
I just reinstalled Windows 7/64 Home Premium and all of the software I need on my ASUS A53E laptop (Pentium 2.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM). I am not sure when it happened as I had several reboots that had to be done while installing my software and the Windows updates and I was multitasking with other things and I did not watch each boot-up, I would come back to my laptop with the Logon screen showing... but now I see that after the 'Starting Windows' screen when the animation of the Windows icon/logo finishes, I have a long period (about 45 seconds or so, I haven't timed it) where the screen is black with an active mouse icon and that's it... after the delay it goes to the Login Screen and starts fine after I enter my password. I have Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 and it has a few optimization tools with it and I've tried them but nothing helps. I have defragmented the hard drive, checked for errors via Windows tools and nothing helps. Ideas on how to fix this or a startup tool that can find out what's going on? Thanks!

Last edited:
Mine does the same thing. I have a few heavy programs that start up at boot so that may be it.

try running "msconfig" from the command prompt line or type system configuration in the search tab seach through the unnecessary startup programs that you may think is causing a lag at startup. Uncheck, save and proceed.

It's usually a service that's hanging that causes issues with start-up or shutdown if I'm honest. Try booting up into safe mode (tap F8 a few times after turning the PC on to get the option), and that should load the PC with minimal start-up programs/services. If you don't have a problem at this point, then it's a piece of software (or possibly driver) that's been installed that is causing an issue.

Back
Top Bottom