Site Merger with Techist

Bahawolf1

Fully Optimized
Hey everyone!

It has come to the attention of several members, due to a mention on an unrelated thread, that Computer Forums is merging with another community known as "Techist". This was the first that I've personally heard of it, and it seems to be the first that others have heard about it as well. I do have some questions, and of course some feedback on this potential merger.

- Is this merger still going to happen, and if so, when will it occur?
- Which of the two communities will be the primary community? In other words, will we become Techist members, or will they become CF members?
- What does this merger mean for the existing moderators, and administrators?
- What does this merger mean for the existing culture of CF?
- Is this open for discussion, or is it going to happen, regardless of member's opinions?

I feel like there has been a disconnect from this community, and it's administration for some time. Rather than finding out about the potential merger from an administrator, or a moderator here, I found out from the leader of Techist. I just feel that there was a better way for this information to be announced.

To answer what I can for you,

- Yes, it is going to happen but time is unknown. The idea is to take it slow so members can get used to the changes instead of it just suddenly being 100% different.
- Technically, neither will be primary as Techist has already been re-branded. That said, this forum will be moving under the techist title.
- The admins here are admins/owners of techist as well. In terms of mods, the plan is to merge both teams. most (if not all) of the team here has already signed up at techist to post and get ourselves out there a bit so members can get used to us as well. The techist team should be doing the same here (Trotter has already posted a bit).
- What part of the culture are you worried about? From what I've seen and experianced they are a lot like us in terms of how they interact with eachother.

Thank you for addressing my questions.

I did some additional research, and found that both communities are under the "Social Knowledge" umbrella ("http://www.socialknowledge.com/assorted/"). I assume the merger was driven by them a bit as well, since the communities have a similar goal.

I don't have a concern regarding culture so to speak, but I know that our forums have housed members for 10+ years. They've grown familiar with the member base, the color scheme, the forum topics, and the rules. I suppose it's like merging families during a marriage, but as see in those cases, conflict can occur due to different personalities.

I am hoping said conflicts will be minimal. The two communities seem very similar. Techist is more heavily weighted toward hardware but has many who are experts in many other areas. The community itself is made up of decent folk. It will take a bit for the waters to clear but I think all will be greatly enriched by the combination.

Techist (as Tech-Forums) began in 2002. I have been there since January 2005. I became a moderator, then super moderator, then assistant admin, then admin along the way.

I'll take a look around Techist, and may become involved. I've been involved in the IT industry for 16 years now. I have the experience necessary to assist in the virus removal section as well. :)

Hey everyone!

It has come to the attention of several members, due to a mention on an unrelated thread, that Computer Forums is merging with another community known as "Techist". This was the first that I've personally heard of it, and it seems to be the first that others have heard about it as well. I do have some questions, and of course some feedback on this potential merger.

- Is this merger still going to happen, and if so, when will it occur?
- Which of the two communities will be the primary community? In other words, will we become Techist members, or will they become CF members?
- What does this merger mean for the existing moderators, and administrators?
- What does this merger mean for the existing culture of CF?
- Is this open for discussion, or is it going to happen, regardless of member's opinions?

I feel like there has been a disconnect from this community, and it's administration for some time. Rather than finding out about the potential merger from an administrator, or a moderator here, I found out from the leader of Techist. I just feel that there was a better way for this information to be announced.

Yes this is the first I've heard of merger however I won't see this as official until Janet and/or Andy make announcement/statement themselves.

Yes this is the first I've heard of merger however I won't see this as official until Janet and/or Andy make announcement/statement themselves.

Maybe I let the cat out of the bag. I thought it was a known thing since it has been known at Techist since April. Here's a link to the post where Andy revealed it to the membership:
The future of Tech-Forums - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Goodbye then.

Don't jump ship yet, setishock. Both sites have the same ownership and cover the same ground so putting them together makes a lot of sense. And it is not CF being absorbed by Techist but rather CF and Tech-Forums joining forces to become Techist. The timeline started with Tech-Forums being renamed to Techist to prep for it. All of the staff from CF will still be staff on Techist as will the staff from Tech-Forums, and I think that you will find that the membership will mix and mingle well. Some here on CF are also members over there and were before this ever happened.

Maybe I let the cat out of the bag. I thought it was a known thing since it has been known at Techist since April. Here's a link to the post where Andy revealed it to the membership:
The future of Tech-Forums - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Don't jump ship yet, setishock. Both sites have the same ownership and cover the same ground so putting them together makes a lot of sense. And it is not CF being absorbed by Techist but rather CF and Tech-Forums joining forces to become Techist. The timeline started with Tech-Forums being renamed to Techist to prep for it. All of the staff from CF will still be staff on Techist as will the staff from Tech-Forums, and I think that you will find that the membership will mix and mingle well. Some here on CF are also members over there and were before this ever happened.

What I mean why Bahawolf has had to tell us instead of the Admin/Owners and why do we have to find out this way. I don't if I speak for everyone but I have had no knowledge of this up until now. I rarely visit Techist but have briefly checked it out today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom