Skylake!

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
So, it seems Intel's next offering is around the corner... well, officially August; but you know what Intel employees are like, they get all the leaks.

14nm architecture... possibly being revised down to 10nm with a subsiquent release before 2017...damn that's small...

Skylake is being hailed as the biggest leap forward since Nahalem.. (you know, when the original line of i5s and i7s hit back in the proverbial 'day' (well, 2008ish?).

I suspect most of the same issues that Sandy bridge had on launch will resurface some time or another... just as they did with Ivy and Haswell.

I'm planning to upgrade to one of the new chips... but not until they've been out for a few months I don't think. Nothing quite like spending ludicrous amounts of money on a new motherboard and CPU to learn that the chipset is going to slowly degrade your hard disks... (ahem, sandy bridge.)

What are y'all thinking then? :D

I like new cutting edge technology but I can't afford them.

I'm the guy who buys last year's tech (so to speak). :angel:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Until I notice my i7 920 (yes the original nahelem) starts becoming a bottleneck or my mobo/cpu dies I won't upgrade my cpu. That being said if Skylake kills it and is priced fairly aggressively I may be tempted to switch. But 99.9 percent I won't

Jarlmaster
The CPU is almost always a bottleneck when it comes to de/compression and CPU rendering. And if you have a high end graphic card it is infact starting to loose a few FPS in Triple-A titles because of the CPU. But if you are not an enthusiast gamer, video editor or often decompress/compress big files, it's still a great CPU.

I am not gonna update to skylake. I have a haswell CPU. The 4770K overclock by 10%. Works fine for me.
I rather want to spend some money on the GPU. I currently have a ASUS GTX 770 that is heavily overclocked. But since the GTA5 i can feel it's getting outdated. Specially because i am running it on a 1440P monitor. i have ruffly 70% max graphic settings running at 50 fps. Not good enough for me :D

Last edited:
I like new cutting edge technology but I can't afford them.

I'm the guy who buys last year's tech (so to speak). :angel:

Yeah as you can always get great deals and prices on the old that still runs good.

If you can afford it that go for it..

I got good deals putting together my i5 system by waiting for sales and rebates. I saved $255 at the end.

I was lucky that I got memory for both my i3 and i5 systems before the price jack, they practically doubled.

Jarlmaster
The CPU is almost always a bottleneck when it comes to de/compression and CPU rendering. And if you have a high end graphic card it is infact starting to loose a few FPS in Triple-A titles because of the CPU. But if you are not an enthusiast gamer, video editor or often decompress/compress big files, it's still a great CPU.

No I'm aware of that but I haven't noticed anything personally. I can still max out anything aside from one or two settings here or there on certain games (the witcher 3 for example). Also I've compared my in game fps results with systems that run an OC'ed 970 but a more modern cpu and I am within 2-3 frames of them on average. So nothing that makes me want to switch.

I totally agree with jarlmaster, no matter how much better newer chips benchmark etc, or whether they're "10x better at ...", if it's doing what you want it to, there's no need to replace it.

For my own desktop I've just got an Athlon II x4 640 with an overclocked GTX650Ti, it's not an amazing system, but it maxes out games like GTA IV at anything below 1080p, at 1080p I naturally just tune it down a bit!

I though the difference was more than that. But apparently it's not. (i looked it up)
The difference are more noticeable in games like civilization V. A CPU depended game.

to put it into perspective, I've been using my overclock second gen chip for nearly 3 years now, and up until Skylake there hasn't been any vast improvement in the mid-range to make me want to upgrade (for instance, moving from my i5 2500k to the equivalent haswell one would be minimal difference, especially if I lost in the silicon lottery)

Hopefully skylake overclocks well and they bring a bit more to the midrange market and don't just focus on the enthusiast i7s!

Back
Top Bottom