Will Windows 10 be the last version of Windows?!

glad they are all the way down to only 2 desktop versions.
Win 8 had 3 (not counting RT) so that's not too bad, but Win 7 and Vista had 6.
There is no need for that. A consumer and business version only is the way to go.

The article didn't say anything about an RT version of Win10. Does that mean win10 will have support for both x86 and ARM based CPU's? I hope so.

Last edited:
I have had to deal with home basic and it is not fun :(

Sent from my VOYAGER2 DG310 using Computer Forums mobile app

Out of that list, I have only seen...
For home use:
Home Basic
Premium
Professional

For Everything:
Ultimate.

I had no idea that Starter and Enterprise where even a thing. Wow. I am definatly going to have to look up Starter. I cannot even picture somthing lower than Home Basic.
EDIT:
WOW! And they charge for this??? This should be free...
Windows 7 Starter does not include:

* Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the Windows Basic or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.
* Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.
* The ability to switch between users without having to log off.
* 64 bit version
* Multi-monitor support.
* DVD playback.
* Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.
* Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.
* Domain support for business customers.
* XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.

Last edited:
Out of that list, I have only seen...
For home use:
Home Basic
Premium
Professional

For Everything:
Ultimate.

I had no idea that Starter and Enterprise where even a thing. Wow. I am definatly going to have to look up Starter. I cannot even picture somthing lower than Home Basic.
EDIT:
WOW! And they charge for this??? This should be free...
Windows 7 Starter does not include:

* Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the Windows Basic or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.
* Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.
* The ability to switch between users without having to log off.
* 64 bit version
* Multi-monitor support.
* DVD playback.
* Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.
* Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.
* Domain support for business customers.
* XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.

This is mainly because most of the devices running Windows 7 Starter are netbooks and other 10.1 inch screen machines. These machines tend to be both low spec and small, so don't include DVD drives etc anyway. I'm sure you can actually download VLC for video playback anyway though if you have an external USB DVD drive.

I had starter on a Vaio netbook with 1.6ghz cpu and 1gb ram, it was awful, I couldn't do something even as simple as change the background.

I asked on a forum how to get XP on as it only had usb and didn't seem to want to install it (can't remember if it was here or not), I was told it wouldn't be supported.

After finally getting xp on, it turns out the people in the forum were right, I managed to get one driver, but no others and ended up inevitably reverting.

I changed the background on mine, but I had to mess with stuff in the registry so probably wouldn't recommend it to anybody else... :angel:
I'm very careful with the registry, to a certain extent, I'm fairly good with computers now, the only time I've done things in the registry is A: when I've had a particularly bad virus that won't go after uninstalling the program in question, I went into regedit, brought up the search box and deleted any entries related to it to stop it reinstalling on startup, so essentially the computer was doing the work for me and I'm not going to mess anything up, or B: using a program that automatically changes the registry so again I can't mess anything up

Anyone heard this.

Customers now running Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 8.1 will receive a free upgrade to Windows 10. Those with PCs powered by Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro get Windows 10 Pro. Others, including Windows Enterprise, must use their Software Assurance annuity to upgrade, while users of Windows RT, the now-dead spin-off of Windows 8, are entirely out of the Windows 10 loop.

Microsoft offers Windows 10 carrot, threatens with stick | Computerworld

Back
Top Bottom