Random Chit Chat

I find it funny when people come to me at work and tells me that their computer doesn't work. When i ask them what's wrong, they often says something that makes the previous statement (my computer doesn't work) incorrect. Like they can't login to windows (we had some server issues a while back) or something else that have nothing to do with the computer itself.

One of the more funny once were a guy who tried to open a document from his mac computer on one of our laptops. (He has to do that in order to print) We don't have a program that supports that file format. He should have exported the document to a PDF file. That way he would easily be able to open it on our computers. But according to him, the computer didn't work. :lol:

Last edited:
It's easy to forget how competent we are personally, and sometimes we have to take a step back and see it from their point of view. As far as he was concerned, he opened a document on his Mac and it worked, so it should have worked on your PCs!

That's part of our job I guess, support :D

Agree. People with good knowledge about a certain subject tent to underestimate their own knowledge and overestimate other peoples knowledge about the subject. But it's not so much that he didn't know how to open the file, It's just funny to me that he said the hole computer didn't work.

Another example was a teacher who placed a paper at a computer with the written words "computer doesn't work".
Problem was the power cord to the monitor was loose. I know it's not something she would think about checking, but i just find it funny.

Last edited:
Yes, we sometimes tend to overestimate how much knowledge we expect users to have. Other times I scratch my head wondering how someone could be so challenged.

Many years ago I had written an inventory program that was running on my company's mainframe computer. I had a user that called me to say that when she reached a certain point in the inventory, the program simply stopped responding. Over several days I worked with this person over the phone trying to help her but the results were always the same, at point X in the inventory, it would simply stop.

I finally went to the person's office to observe what was going on. She showed me that at point X she was being asked a question like "How many widgets do you have?". She would type in the letter "o" and press Enter. There would be a "Beep!" and an error message in Red text would appear on the screen saying something like "Invalid number entered. Please enter a valid number." Every time she hit Enter there was a beep and the message was displayed. She turned to me and said, "See? It just stops working!" I asked her, what about that error message? She said she didn't know what it meant so she simply ignored it. WTH???

I could understand someone might not realize that the letter "o" and the number "0" are 2 different things to a computer but it amazed me that in all of our phone conversations over the past few days she never once mentioned that she was receiving an error message. Once I showed her to use the number "0" everything was fine and she was able to complete the rest of the inventory.

I returned to my office and modified my program so that before checking for errors in the input, it first scanned the string and converted all letter "o"s to number "0"s and all lower case letter "L"s and upper case letter "I"s to number "1"s and never got a call like that again.

Last edited:
Just ordered a used GTX 770 Graphic card. I have never bought used computer gear before.
I did that because i want to SLI my current 770. The price for a 970 are too high for the benefit gain over the 770.
In all proper multiple GPU optimized games, the GTX 770 SLI will easily beat the 970, and i payed only a little over 1/3 the price of a single 970.
I am going to upgrade to Nvidias next lineup of GPU's. Then i have 2 graphic cards to sell. So the upgrade will not be too expensive.
The reason for the upgrade is that i have noticed my 770 is ageing. Specially because i switched to a 1440P display.
Looking forward to play witcher 3 in GTX 770 SLI. It scales pretty good among multiple GPU's.

Last edited:
I have gotten the GPU some days ago, but i couldn't find my PSI-E power cord for my PSU. So i decided to buy a hole new set of individual sleeved red cables for the PSU. Simply because it looks great. However it was quite expensive. 800 DKK (115 USD).
It arrived today. Now the problem is that the 24 pin cord isn't included. You have to buy that separately..... for additional 200 DKK (30 USD).
So in total 145 USD....... what the fuck corsair... It's soo close to the price of the PSU itself. (The AX760).

So i am sending the package back and buying a used set online instead. I have found a complete unused set near me for 600 DKK (almost 90 bucks) including the 24 pin connector. So i save 55 dollars in total. (excluding the 3 USD for shipping the package back)

Sleeved cables sure are expensive. :blink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom