Intel i7 5500U vs i7 4720hq

Why don't we help you find a laptop that has dedicated GPU, Have you got a budget or price range?

Well the laptop I have in process right now cost me $1100 usd, so I would like to stay around that.

There are some requirements though.....as I have done at least a little homework.

• Windows 7, the little knowledge I do have on computers has been with windows 7 or earlier. I don't want to get a new computer and have to learn a new operating system like windows 8.
  • Bluray drive, because I plan to rip my movie library.
  • HD screen so that I can watch those movies
  • 2tb HDD or larger to hold all the movies
  • Ram I guess is up in the air, I just got the most I could on my current laptop that is in production.
  • Screen size can be either 15" or 17", I prefer the 17" but could live with a 15".
  • Capable processor and decent graphics card.
  • I would like to have 802.11ac wifi, as I have a router that is 802.11ac, but not a deal breaker.
While I was doing my "homework" there were some HP models that had some things that I wanted, but then there were other things that I wanted on different models. For example, I wanted the 4720hq processor with the GTX graphics card, and that was available on the 15" model, but that model didn't offer windows 7, or a bluray drive. So I know it is possible to have certain things on the same mother board. I just wish I could have a completely custom built laptop, not just choose form a few options.

Here is the configuration of the laptop that is in production right now......
•HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone
•Backlit Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
•17.3-inch diagonal Full HD WLED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
•4-cell 48WHr Lithium-ion Battery
•802.11b/g/n WLAN [1x1]
•HP Laptop
•16GB DDR3L System Memory (2 Dimm)
•Blu-ray writer and SuperMulti DVD burner
•Windows 7 Professional 64
•4th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ Quad Core Processor + Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
•2TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

I will probably be just fine with the one that I have ordered, but im the type of guy that likes the best. This process has definitely snow balled into something that I didnt expect. At first I just wanted a cheap laptop to run all the EQ software for my home theater, then It turned into....well I'll rip some movies onto it, then it turned into, well now I want to watch the movies in HD, then well now I want a really fast processor, then maybe I want to play games.....etc etc. So what was supposed to be just like a $400 laptop, has turned into over $1000.

HP seemed to be the company that offered most of what I wanted. I looked at dell and they were very limited on how I could configure the laptop. I also looked at ASUS, but they seemed to be mainly geared towards gaming, and didnt offer much of what I wanted either. I also quickly looked at other manufactures like Toshiba and such, but I am a name brand type of guy. And yes I do know that Toshiba is a name brand, but I don't think they are in the same league as HP or Dell, maybe im wrong.

Like I said, Im sure I will be stoked on what I have coming.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Ah, I didn't know we were shopping around for laptops which had different GPUs AND CPUs, as a gaming package, the i7 5500U and the Geforce card would be better.

Saying that, the Intel HD4600 is one of the few integrated graphics solutions that isn't terrible, probably somewhere between a Geforce GT820M and GT830M

Not really a gaming laptop per se, but just the ability to play games if I wanted. I might never play a game, but If I did want to it would be nice to have the option.

For what I plan to use this laptop for, the 5500U will probably be perfectly fine, but the lure of the faster processor has me wanting it. Guess I cant have my cake and eat it too.

I think you will. The graphics on the Haswell CPUs is well improved over the older CPUs.

I didn't like the graphics on my SB i3 and my IB i5 but then I was using a VGA monitor. I haven't tried DVI with them as I didn't have a DVI monitor then. Had I tried it it most likely will be better than VGA.

Maybe the reviews I'm reading on intels 4600 graphics, are on cpu's that don't have the performance of the 4720hq. Maybe they will work fine....I will soon find out.

Back
Top Bottom