Building computer

emperor76

In Runtime
I wasn't sure whether to add this to the thread I started about the front panel connector or not, but I'm trying to build a computer for about £60, I already have the psu, dvd drive and hard drive upstairs, do the following components look okay for the price and will it all work, it seems fine to me, K802 95w Super Sientl CPU Cooler Fan & Heatsink LGA 754 AMD AM2 AM2+ AM3 Athlon | eBay

http://www.cclonline.com/product/15...-Black-Case-1x12cm-Black-Fan-USB-3-0/CAS1534/

Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 Rev 2.0 Socket AM2+ Motherboard With BP 4719331812065 | eBay

AMD Athlon 64 X 2 ADO5400IAA5DO 2.8GHz Socket AM2 CPU 2791365465488 | eBay

Last edited:
What about RAM? That mobo uses DDR2 RAM which is kind of on the expensive side.

Sorry, I must have missed that, I have some ram upstairs as well, I haven't tested it yet, but I'm pretty sure I have 2 x 1gb sticks which should do temporarily especially as he will only really be doing web browsing, I meant to put that in the original post, I also think I might be able to save a bit of money on the motherboard if I shop around a bit but not sure, the annoying thing is I don't think am3 is much more.

Sorry it's been a while between posts here, he's ordered most of the parts now, this is the motherboard he's ordered Gigabyte | GA-M61PME-S2P Rev 1.0 | AM2+ AM3 Motherboard | Micro ATX | eBay here's a link to what I'm hoping is the right motherboard on the Gigabyte website GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM2 - GA-M61PME-S2P (rev. 1.0) from what I can see it says it supports Support for DDR2 1066/800/667 MHz memory modules is this right? and more importantly will it be 240 pin or 200 pin, I've never personally had a problem with getting the wrong one, but since it's not my money, I want to be extra sure I don't get the wrong one, I could only find 1gb which I'm not even sure will work and he will need at least 2gb to run windows 7, so just looking for some, thanks

I've just filtered each search by the amount of pins and noticed that all the 200 pins seem to be laptop memory and all the 240 pins are desktop, I knew so-dimm was laptop and dimm was desktop, but didn't know the pin difference, is this right?

It may be correct but I don't think you can simply assume that all 200 pin dimms are laptop and all 240 pin dimms are desktop.

It may be correct but I don't think you can simply assume that all 200 pin dimms are laptop and all 240 pin dimms are desktop.

Okay thanks, I was just going purely on the fact that it was a bit of a coincidence, I found this, it's the cheapest I could find other than the Chinese imports which are worryingly cheap, it's also the same speed as the ram I have, so I'm hoping it will work together 1 X 2GB PC2-6400 RAM DDR2 800MHz Desktop Memory 6400U NON-ECC SDRAM DIMM 240-pin

Hi sorry to wake an old thread, I've done so purely to bring it to a close, I've finished building the computer now, the specs have ended up as follows, Case: AvP Storm-P28 Gaming Black Midi Tower Case
Motherboard: Gagabyte GA-M61PME-S2P
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (2.7ghz)
Hard drive: Hitachi Deskstar 80GB
PSU: 600 watt
RAM: 2GB Kingston DDR2 800mhz And he's just got the following graphics card for free which I should be installing for him soon, it's came to slightly more than I first thought, but at least this can be easily changed and upgraded which is more than I can say for the pre-built one's I've felt like eating out of pure dispair. thanks all for the help

Back
Top Bottom