No Win 8.1 update

ukrberserker23

Baseband Member
I read thru a bunch of threads about Win 8.1. I have an HP 2000 laptop with the E2 Vision AMD processor. I have reset my laptop 4 times since I got it. I just did a full reset about a week ago, and now it won't update back to 8.1. My store works just fine, but it won't reinstall 8.1. I can't download any games I like or much of anything else. My laptop is only 2 years old, so I plan to keep it long enough to get Windows 10. Any idea how I can get 8.1 to reinstall?

Well, it seems I solved my own problem. After I reset last time, I installed Spybot because I wanted to scan for any malware or corrupt files. I took it back off on a hunch, and my 8.1 update finally started downloading. I get that "resolving host" issue as well, so I will try to fix that next. I already set up a new user name and password when I did the reset. It is still there. Wish Msoft hadn't f**ked us so we can't install Ubuntu alongside Windows. I found out you can't do that with Win 8.

Well, I figured out the main problem. After resetting my laptop several times, I found out that I have to enter the 25 digit product key in order for it to update to 8.1. Is there somewhere on or in the pc that I can find this info? I threw the box away in December.

If it's one of the few which have a sticker, it will be stuck to the bottom of the laptop, or underneath the battery, remove the battery to check.

The code might also be in the BIOS, in which case it should activate automatically!

What happens if I already replaced the BIOS with a new one from HP? I wrote down all the numbers I could find under the battery, but none fit. Will try looking under HDD cover.

I think if the bios is updated the key will not be erased as its permanently stored there but I could be wrong

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

Well, yesterday I tried updating because I got a purple prompt on my screen to do so. I sat for 3 hours, and it went up to 82%, and stayed there. It wouldn't do anything else, so I shut it down. It reverted back to windows 8. Couldn't get HDD cover off, and can't find any other numbers on it. Mine was originally a Walmart display model that they reset, and gave me a discount on. It has the yellow price/product sticker, but everything is worn off. I'll keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom