Random Chit Chat

Just got engaged. Getting married in less than 3 months, so that's exciting. Other than that, same old, same old on my end.

You might not remember, but I'm one of the few who's seen your ugly mug... not sure I want to see the bride!!!

lol, totally kidding man. It's very good to see you back and best of luck with the marriage. Things will change, you'll fight, question why you're with her, but as long as you come back to each other with the goal of working things out, the bad times will end with even better times than before. Anything worth doing is going to be hard. Don't cheese out with a divorce, because endurance makes the marriage stronger and more fulfilling for you both.

Congrats bud.

Changing topics, I have a question for the professional crowd here. I know this varies greatly based on location, company, and experience, but I'm in a position to ask to me moved to a salaried position at my job based on how many duties I know handle and I'm needing some help negotiating that salary.

I definitely qualify as a Systems Administrator, with all of the things I do for our systems at my job. I start one year ago as an IT Support Technician at an hourly wage.
I'm going to stop there, you definitely qualify?
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that nobody qualifies as a sys admin after a single year after coming on as help desk tech, or to put it another way, if you qualify for the position of IT god now, why were you taking tech support jobs only a year ago?

simple scenario,
The internet if down, (so you can't google).
So is your companies sharepoint farm.

Could you get either of these back up without google?

Which may mean recovering from scratch.

will this be one of those scenarios where the definition of sys admin changed over the years and now isn't what it quite was?

I'm worried about getting rejected when asking to become salaried, but at some point I need to give myself the credit I deserve and be ready to move to a different company where my skills are appreciated if they don't budge.
this is true, but don't make unrealistic demands.

The last time I has this argument (the I'm worth more) my boss asked me to justify it, I sent him ten job adverts for other jobs I could easily do that were paid more, we hadn't even discussed figures, but I got a raise that was around twice what I was asking for, and a raise each 6 months after that for a couple of years.

If you're not prepared to leave, then don't play that card!

you don't say what your wage/hours are how.

lets assume that you're working 40 hour weeks at $15 an hour.
that's $600 a week or $31k a year. no matter what you think you are worth, no company is going to double your pay over night just because you asked nicely or threatened to leave.

Everything varies from what I can see online, but a majority of the entry level Sys Admin positions I could find appear to be between $50-60k/year. I'm not sure if that's factoring in fringe bene's or not.

Any thoughts?
I'll go back to my are you really a sys admin question, could you really fix things without google, or are you really good at searching out and following instructions?

have a look here:
Systems Administrator Salary (United Kingdom)

$60k USD translates to £39K GBP, are you sure that you're really at the top scale of the job you want to move into after being in a much more junior role for only a year?

Long story short, take what you're currently on and add 15% as your starting/negotiation point.

don't forget that if you come in high then you put yourself in the firing line for first to go, subsequent payrises are harder to fight for etc

Yesterday I left my tablet on a plane back from Romania, - I am sad about this :(

Skyped with 5 cool friends from other forums I'm in yesterday. I didn't have a web cam like they did. Felt bad about it :(

But it was fun :). I finally had an extended English voice chat with native English speaker. I paused from time to time to find the words I wanted to say, screwed up in pronouncing some and made some stupid semantics mistakes. That was embarrassing :p

Smart Guy - I am embarrassed because I only know 1 language and don't even consider myself an expert in that. I don't seem to have the skills required to pick up other languages. I had Spanish class in school from the 2nd to the 8th grade yet only know a few words and can count to 10. I had 1 year of German in High School but can't even begin to have a conversation, let alone join a German speaking forum!

Most embarrassing to me is the fact that I have been married to a Korean woman for almost 42 years yet cannot carry on a conversation with her in her native language.

Back
Top Bottom