Display Driver keeps crashing and then recovering

Normal

Solid State Member
For the past few months my screen will go black for 1-2 seconds, then something will pop up that says the display driver has stopped working and has recovered. It never really caused a problem but just a few minutes ago my screen totally froze, and then went to all blue with text that said my display driver had crashed, and my computer began to restart. I really need to know how to fix this. I have not made any changes to my computer prior to the issue. I have a ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics card.
Thank you.

I have a jpg below of the message I get.

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 4
See if there's an upgraded drivers for your card. If it is the latest try reinstalling it.

Without the correct display drivers, your PC will default to running in SVGA mode (800x600) until you put the right drivers in. alternatively Windows update will auto-install them via plug and play with Windows 7

EDIT: Also best to run that thing Joe posted in safe mode. (F8 on startup, safe mode with networking). This will stop it from reinstalling the card automatically with whatever crap exists on Winupdate for it.

Getting drivers for other than windows and software like Office is a serious crapshoot.
Always get drivers for any hardware from those who know them best, the ones that made it.
M$ updates for hardware are always versions, yes I said versions with a S, behind.

I've actually just had a thought, not sure if it's still relevant!

This sometimes happens if a card is running under-voltage for it's core/boost clocks. If drivers don't help, get an overclocking app (MSI afterburner etc) and up the operating voltage by 10mv.

Back
Top Bottom