bottom-mounted PSUs...

A lot of things come in to play as to where parts get mounted. You may be right in that it keeps the COG down low but I'd think it's placement due to temps and wire runs.
Besides, would you want to see a bunch of unused wires dangling down from your PSU?

It makes the most sense having the PSU on the bottom.
No dangling wires, top mounted PSU's takes away space for radiators, Design (in my opinion). COG. The big power cables closer to the table (so increases the easy of access on USB's and other cables).

Joedaman: I see plenty mid tower cases with bottom mounted PSU's. Though mostly the newer models from respected companies.
Like my own NZXT H440 and cases like this one.

elite311.jpg

^Biker, he's asking why the fan is facing down, not why the PSU is at the bottom.

@Joe
I can't answer with any amount of certainty as to why you would put the fan facing down, however I can only assume that it is to prevent the air from being vented into the case.

The PSU has three fans. One intake (inside the case where wires go) and two exhaust (back and top) as most older ATX cases allowed the PSU to vent from the top. Based on that, I would then assume it is done to draw more of the warm air out of the case and forcing it all through that outside exhaust fan.

The PSU is a heavy unit and at the top makes it top heavy. Having it on the bottom makes sense.

Yes it does make sense theoretically, but does it practically? I mean, past generation went with the top-mount with no problem.

Anyone experienced it practically, guys?

In the past the PSUs wasn't heavy as it is now. They're bigger and heavier thus a higher risk of toppling over from a slight bump.

Then again it's a matter of design. :)

I must say I've never had my PC anywhere but on the desk or ontop of a cabinet or something. perhaps because my dad used to bash the rhetoric of 'NO DUST!!!1!!1!' into me when I was younger :L

Putting my PC onto a carpet would literally make me anxious.

Back
Top Bottom