NAS or something else?

atomichybrid

In Runtime
Hi all,

I'm looking to extend my file sharing capabilities. I have a network access to my hard drive on my desktop but its not good when I want to access it when desktop is off. I was thinking of a NAS solution and just purely want to use it as a file storage, so that other family members can access it. There would be some movies and tv shows stored on it as well so I would expect that I would need a NAS that is powerful enough to sustain streaming through the network. It would be for home use, so nothing state of the art, but I do need to know if the choice I'm going for is the best solution, or unless there are better alternatives?

I appreciate feedbacks and if you could point me to the right direction that would be great.

Cheers

I have a Western Digital MyCloundMirror 4TB. A lot of storage space and no fuss putting files on it or getting them off. It can do live streaming while others are in adding files to it. It also has some goodies it comes with all ready to install. Some neat stuff. Oh and it does have a USB port for backing it up and a gigabyte network connection. Drives come preformatted and installed.
Excellent bang for the buck.

I have the WD My Cloud EX2 4TB which is very similar to the one Seti has and echo what he said about his. Mine has 2 USB 3.0 ports on the back and 2 WD Red 2TB drives inside.

The reason it's called My Cloud is because it is accessible from the internet (if you enable that feature). I've played around with that and can access any of the movies on my NAS from my phone when I'm out and about which is kind of cool but I don't watch many movies that way. Of course you can access other file types from the NAS as well.

Last edited:
I have the 4TB version. I've got over 1200 movies alone on it and haven't made a good dent in it yet.

thanks guys for the NAS solutions. Just another question does it have to backup? Alot of video review seems to talk about the backup feature and RAID stuff. If I were to buy a NAS I can still use it for storage rather than the machine perform backups right?

Back
Top Bottom