Why is the minimum character limit there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually a huge problem with younger generations. The ability to communicate in a ubiquitously understood manner is a fading skill.

I see it as the newest generation growing up in a land of technology where information is expected through the internet almost instantaneously, quickly, and efficiently.

For example, at work, if somebody had a problem they needed sorting quickly, then they don't want a long winded answer, they want it straight to the point...

You call it fading communication skills, I'd call it generational differences.

I see it as the newest generation growing up in a land of technology where information is expected through the internet almost instantaneously, quickly, and efficiently.

For example, at work, if somebody had a problem they needed sorting quickly, then they don't want a long winded answer, they want it straight to the point...

True. And it is one thing to talk on a forum and actually have a conversation with someone.

Being part of the younger generation I'd tell you that the fast, instant and short answers get you no where very very quickly. I started raising through the ranks faster when my emails became more detailed beyond a simple yes or no (when those were appropriate) because my answers showed I knew what it was I was talking about.

True. And it is one thing to talk on a forum and actually have a conversation with someone.

Is it? I type here the way I talk. The only real difference is when communicated vocally it's easier to tell tone. But you are still ignoring the fact that a simple "yes" or "no" virtually never provides the full answer. If someone asks if something is compatible and you only say yes they'll have to come back because they didn't really learn anything. If you say yes and why then they've learned something and will hopefully say "these guys taught me something, I should stick around and see what else I can learn".

Being part of the younger generation I'd tell you that the fast, instant and short answers get you no where very very quickly. I started raising through the ranks faster when my emails became more detailed beyond a simple yes or no (when those were appropriate) because my answers showed I knew what it was I was talking about.

Is it? I type here the way I talk. The only real difference is when communicated vocally it's easier to tell tone. But you are still ignoring the fact that a simple "yes" or "no" virtually never provides the full answer. If someone asks if something is compatible and you only say yes they'll have to come back because they didn't really learn anything. If you say yes and why then they've learned something and will hopefully say "these guys taught me something, I should stick around and see what else I can learn".
" Nice GPU, did you get that off of newegg? " Yes ".
I know what you mean, and saying " Yes I did " is also easy, but sometimes like I end up doing often, is I'm on the forum just until I leave off for work, and a quick " yes " really can make a difference. I know what you mean about speech etc etc, but the only point I want to make is that there is no harm done with the occasional " lol " or something of that nature. Being formal all the time even in a "Lol" thread becomes annoying. We don't want to speak like a business pro to every single person we ever meet. It's the social lounge, we are here to relax and just chill. We are a semi small group of people, there is no need for consistently having all these formalities. I actually don't even care if the limit is changed. I noticed the thread and I simply can agree with draygoes, it does get annoying here and there, but it is no big deal, and I don't think it really makes any difference to anyone here. This is all just my opinion and why I agree with draygoes, wether something is changed or not really doesn't bother me...

I's go along with shutting it off in the social lounge but unfortunately vBulletin doesn't work that way. It's what's called a Global setting. You enable it, set the minimum amount of characters, and it goes for the entire forum. So to shut it off for the social lounge means it's shut off for the entire forum.

As for the did you get that off blah blah? yes
Yes I did. Here's the link to the page. This is what I like about it. Here's what I don't. I'd recommend getting one. I'd not recommend getting one.

You can be brief or long winded, it's up to you. But an more informative reply is not only beneficial to the person who's thread you're responding to but to lurkers and sandbaggers as well. They might even like what they see and sign up.

no.
this setting will not be changed.

the mods (actually past mods and present mods) have made it clear why, - because it stops inane replies and helps prevent spam.

people who are mods on other forums have said why - it's a tactic most forums use to promote useful discussion and helps to prevent spam.

the administrators have said that they will not remove this limit. (and lets face it, they are the ones that own the domain, they pay to keep the lights on. it's their place where we are all guests.)

the size of the forum, or amount of active members is meaningless (though the setting was activated in busier times.)

Whether you think that "people don't talk like that outside of business" is inconsequential, - we've all evolved past communicating in grunts.
and last time I heard, the forum owners wanted this to be a place with at least some veneer of professionalism. what is actually surprising and counter intuitive is that the more like a clubhouse a forum becomes, the less members it attracts. this is because new people are outside the clique, and hence what seems like a really friendly place to people inside it, actually is not. This forum is not anybodies private fiefdom, (well except Andy, (the admin) and Janet (the other admin) because as explained earlier they pay for the servers to stay on!) and consistently arguing that the rules and software settings should be changed to suit the way that you wish things were run, well, it's really not on!

There was no harm in asking the question. why is the limit there?
There no harm in asking for a setting to be changed (once)
there is no harm in attempting to justify why you want something changed, but we're 8 pages into this now!

That two people want to use a forum as if it were a chat room, does not mean it's going to happen.

or to put things into a reply of less than ten characters:

no.

For those that are a fan of more than ten characters:
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom