Wearing vinyl/latex gloves for build....

frldyz

In Runtime
For fear of static during my build I was thinking of bringing home some vinyl operatory gloves from my Dental office to wear during my build. They are powder free.

We will be doing the build in the kitchen on a wood table. Pet free environment. Barefoot. And we will have anti-static wrist bands. I know we are doing everything right. But this is my 1st build and I have ALOT of money in components.

Would there be less risk of wearing vinyl gloves with static and eliminate the risk of oils on components.?

Thanks

Vinyl operation gloves and barefooted you say. Don't over do it. Having a Anti static wrist band should be enough.
You are more likely to break hardware by installing or handling it improperly.

I build high end systems for friends and an occasional paying customers. I mean some serious s**t. So you'd think holding a Titan video card in my hands worth 2 grand would make me go over board concerning static.
I would not even think of wearing any sort of rubber or vinyl glove as it impedes feeling what I'm holding. Those materials if rubbed on a nylon or cotton shirt can build up a charge. Bare hands are always best. But if you are that concerned, a good waterless hand sanitizer will strip the oils off.
The small amount of oils on your finger tips is not enough to cause problems. Humidity in the air can do more harm than the oils on your hands. As for static, if you ground the case with a piece of wire to the sink, you'll be good. Touch the case first before installing the gizmo.

^^^ what he said. Latex insulates and can cause static buildup.

Just be grounded well and touch ground once in a while. Also avoid touching the circuitry.

Also take your time and pay attention. Take breaks to keep your mind fresh.

Last edited:
I would think that wearing vinyl gloves would INCREASE the possibility of an electrostatic charge on your hands rather than decrease it.

If you make sure to touch the metal part of the case often and handle cards and other components by their edges, you should be fine.

I've been known to build PCs lying down with my bare toes touching a radiator, so as long as you're in some way making precautions against static discharge, you're okay!

I build high end systems for friends and an occasional paying customers. I mean some serious s**t. So you'd think holding a Titan video card in my hands worth 2 grand would make me go over board concerning static.
I would not even think of wearing any sort of rubber or vinyl glove as it impedes feeling what I'm holding. Those materials if rubbed on a nylon or cotton shirt can build up a charge. Bare hands are always best. But if you are that concerned, a good waterless hand sanitizer will strip the oils off.
The small amount of oils on your finger tips is not enough to cause problems. Humidity in the air can do more harm than the oils on your hands. As for static, if you ground the case with a piece of wire to the sink, you'll be good. Touch the case first before installing the gizmo.
Just learned somthing VERY new. Thank you. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom