CPU AMD FX4300 at 3.8GHz
Motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0
Video Asus 260X 2GB DDR5 2 x DVI, HDMI and DP out
RAM 8GB DDR3
Hard Drive 1TB
DVD-RW, USB, Sound and Network Card
Power Supply Corsair 650w

Specs listed above.

Alright, so for over a month now, while doing anything on my PC, or nothing I will get random flashes, sometimes white, sometimes just multicoloured. After having my PC Do that to me 3-10 times in a row, it will give me a black screen. I am always forced to restart my PC at this time. I've checked my screensaver so I don't look dumb and I've tried to search about it and have found nothing. One day I was playing my internet based game and my screen had a longer white flash and then in the bottom right corner of my screen it said "Display driver has stopped working and has recovered" After seeing this I immediately went and looked it up, the best answer that I found on a youtube video was that I was overclocking my memory too much. I have no idea how to overclock and I've never done it, but I guess the owner before me did. So I opened up AMD Catalyst control centre and went into performance and saw that memory overclocking was at 1750mhz which is almost at max, heres my question: Is this the reason why my screen flickers and goes black? If so, what should I set my mhz to for memory overclocking? (Again, specs are listed above)
Thanks to anyone who read this and is willing to help. All help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPod touch using Computer Forums

Try running your video card at default settings and see how that works. There should be a button to change those settings to default. That does indeed sound like an unstable video card overclock

I reset it to default, it turned AMD overclocking off. It went and turned it on just to see the default settings for it and it was what was there earlier. I turned it back off and I'm going to report back later.

Sent from my iPod touch using Computer Forums

Its not a laptop is it? We have that exact same problem, and I found it to be a wiring issue that I do not have the tools to fix.

Looks like a desktop PC to me.

@Chayse247

To eliminate the possibility of a fault with the drivers, do the following:

1. Install "Display Driver Uninstaller" from this link - Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 14.3.0.0
2. Run the program and use it to clear the graphics drivers you currently have on the PC. Restart the PC (if the program doesn't do this for you)
3. Go to the AMD website and download/install the specific drivers for your video card.

I'm about 70% sure that this will fix your problem.

Back
Top Bottom