Windows 7 Ultimate issue (weird)

For future reference for you...

The odds are, if you move a hard drive from one PC to another without reinstalling it, you'll get blue-screens. This is due to certain links in the Hardware Abstraction Layer and you'll either have to reinstall the OS, or use a tool to break the old link (sorry I can't remember the tool from the top of my head!)

It can work if the hardware is very similar but it won't be optimal at best and and worst it can lead to a totally unreliable machine. It is not a recommended way to do things. A clean install is ALWAYS the best way to go.

It can work if the hardware is very similar but it won't be optimal at best and and worst it can lead to a totally unreliable machine. It is not a recommended way to do things. A clean install is ALWAYS the best way to go.

I have tried a clean fresh install on the straight from my drive on to the HDD and the same thing happens. Looks like a dead end.

You need to go through the BIOS and make sure things are setup so that Windows 7 is able to run. Now a lot of people (techies included) would be hard pressed to tell you what that is. I myself am at a loss as the options could be anywhere, but I would suggest you start with the drive.

Boot into the BIOS, and there should be an area that has to do with the drive and drive technology. It might be set to "IDE" or "Legacy/IDE"
Change it to AHCI
If it's already AHCI, change to IDE (although AHCI is proper)

Also, when you get a blue screen, what's the HRESULT value? (e.g. 0x800.....)

Win 7 should work with either AHCI or IDE, Win XP doesn't include SATA drivers so has trouble with AHCI and needs to either have SATA drivers manually installed or the SATA mode set to IDE.

If the BIOS settings are in question, the best thing to do is to set them back to default, that's generally a safe bet.

Thats what I mean, I've never had problems with moving hard drives, and I know that isn't the problem.
The system can hold 8gb no problem and my friend had a 1tb drive in it so that shouldn't be a problem.
I'm just stuck now because the driver I need to install needs to check if theres a nvidia graphics card in the machine you're installing it on. and since my other computer doesn't, I can't just install it onto the hardrive. (thats another things, the 1tb hardrive with windows 7 on it boots perfectly on my other computer)
I just don't know what to do.

I am not saying it works in for everyone in any situation but it has for me just saying..

Back
Top Bottom