Need to save an Appliction

copiman

In Runtime
I have a laptop that will require me to wipe the drive and reload the OS. I have an application on the laptop that I want to keep. No way to do a backup or an image since the laptop will not function. I was wondering if there was a way to copy the application and load it back onto the laptop after I reload the OS? I can remove the the drive and connect it to another PC with an en-closer. The application is about as old as the OS (Vista).

That is a really good question, with a difficult answer.
The only way to answer that question would be to know what the application is, and even then you may not get an answer that you like.

Please tell us what it is, and you will get feedback.

The application is called Cubase. Its a music recording and editing software. Someone thought that you can copy the folder that contains the software and the copy it to the computer. I have never heard of or tried it, which is why I'm asking.

You *may* be able to go into the program files and copy the folder containing all the program information. But this doesn't work every time, and on your new installation you wouldn't have the registry keys etc anymore. The PC would not "know" that the program was installed, and this can lead to issues. Also, some data files are not stored within the program files and you would be very likely to lose personal settings/data if you only copy the program files.

Back
Top Bottom