Windows 7 64-bit limiting ram usage?

HammyCakes

Baseband Member
Hello friends! I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit installed on my PC. Currently my system has 8 GB of RAM, and recently, due to some hardware issues, I had to reinstall Windows.

After doing some checks to make sure everything was working properly, I noticed this:
a5zprZ0.png

This makes no sense because I know for a fact I have a 64-bit operating system, and I don't believe that any of my RAM is dead.
I have tried every fix that is available for 64-bit machines that do this and nothing's working.

Help would greatly be appreciated, thank you guys so much.

What hardware issues did you have?
Do you have an external graphics card?
Did Windows recognise the full 8GB of RAM before the reinstall?
Have you tried removing a stick of RAM and seeing what happens, and how much is displayed in the control panel? (then checking again with the other stick of RAM individually).

Often this is a case of the RAM not being inserted properly (being shaken loose etc) or damaged pins. I'd say in 7/10 cases I've been able to remove the RAM, put it back in again and it works fine!

The picture is not showing here at the office, but I think I get the picture (no pun intended).

Did you check the actual recognized amount of RAM in the BIOS/on post screen? That's were you have to check first. If it shows it wrong, make sure the hardware is attached correctly (both the RAM and the CPU).

Notes:
1- To access the BIOS, refer to the motherboard's manual, or it could be noted on the post screen. Usually it is by clicking DEL (Delete) repeatedly once you start the computer.
2- The post screen is the first black and white screen that shows up that shows the connected devices. Usually it says "American Megatrends" or "Energy" in basic simple colors.
3- Tomato is a vegetable!

Are you running in dual channel mode?

I'm sorry, i'm not entirely sure what that is! However, I'm gonna try moving the configuration of my RAM to see if that makes anything better. I think I may know the issue, thank you guys extremely much! <3

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Have you tried removing a stick of RAM and seeing what happens, and how much is displayed in the control panel? (then checking again with the other stick of RAM individually).

Often this is a case of the RAM not being inserted properly (being shaken loose etc) or damaged pins. I'd say in 7/10 cases I've been able to remove the RAM, put it back in again and it works fine!

My hardware issue was my old-as-dirt motherboard that I replaced! And I have a GTX 660 if that helps! However really quick I am gonna open up my PC and see what I can do in the inner workings! Thank you!

THIS WORKED! I simply opened my case and noticed that one of the switches that held the RAM in place was not flipped down, so half of the RAM was out! I simply pulled it out and plugged it in properly and wa-la! Thank you so so so much, stay safe! <3

THIS WORKED! I simply opened my case and noticed that one of the switches that held the RAM in place was not flipped down, so half of the RAM was out! I simply pulled it out and plugged it in properly and wa-la! Thank you so so so much, stay safe! <3

Wonderful, I'm really pleased to hear it!

It's easy to not plug the RAM in correctly and I've come across this problem quite a lot, now if this happens again you know the likely culprit! :D

All the best,

-J

The picture is not showing here at the office, but I think I get the picture (no pun intended).

Did you check the actual recognized amount of RAM in the BIOS/on post screen? That's were you have to check first. If it shows it wrong, make sure the hardware is attached correctly (both the RAM and the CPU).

Notes:
1- To access the BIOS, refer to the motherboard's manual, or it could be noted on the post screen. Usually it is by clicking DEL (Delete) repeatedly once you start the computer.
2- The post screen is the first black and white screen that shows up that shows the connected devices. Usually it says "American Megatrends" or "Energy" in basic simple colors.
3- Tomato is a vegetable!
Nice notes. Usually on the computers that I have worked on, You need to press F12 to access the bios, but its different for everyone I guess.
And as for 3... it snot! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom