Upgrading and Adding RAM

Unique

Beta member
Hello,
I have recently just purchased a Desktop PC, and I am planning to upgrade it.
However, I am new to working on Desktops. When I went to add more RAM to my desktop earlier, I noticed there was 4 slots, 2 already being taken up. However they were seperate colours, 2 was yellow and 2 was black. Does this mean anything? Or can I still put any RAM in the yellow and black slots?

Thans in advance,
Kieron ~ (Unique)

To best answer we need the specs of you motherboard. However, I assume that it is DDr3. So yes, the motherboard should hold any DDr3, BUT you always need to make sure what "Mhz" your motherboard can handle. So if you could post the motherboard /computer you bought that would help a lot to best answer your question :)

The colors are how the memory are paired, a pair in the black and a pair in the yellow.

As NikonGuy stated, you need to know what minimum speed memory you can use. You can use faster memory with no problem though.

I usually one up on my memory speed so they can be more stable.

Contact HP Support and Customer Service | HP®*Support

Memory upgrade information

Dual channel memory architecture
Four 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
Supports DDR3 DIMMs
PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
PC3-14400 (DDR3-1866)
32 GB unbuffered max memory
Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB or 8 GB DIMMs
Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems

note:
32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

To be totally honest with you, in the majority of situations you aren't going to see a real performance benefit in upgrading a PC which comes as standard with 6GB RAM.

I'd recommend putting RAM in which is the same speed as the original (or faster, but don't fit slower stuff!).

What is the upgrade for? A particular purpose? What do you want the machine to be able to do it cannot do currently?

Back
Top Bottom