?

?

Windows 7 still gets support btw. You have to remember, the OS stops getting updates after they decide there is nothing else to update. Win 8 won't have an update for a long time if ever again.

I imagine one of the reasons they're pushing for everyone to move to Win10 other than the fact they're going to be pushing there own App store is the fact they want to shorten or end the length of support older OS's get.

Ever heard of the saying " Don't fix something that isn't broken " ? Win 7 still gets support, there is no way anyone knows when Win 7 will stop getting support, so don't take measures based on the idea that support for win 7 MIGHT get dropped. That's like saying, "well my computer is 3 years old, it works perfectly now, but some day, maybe in a couple years, it'll stop working or have problems so I should buy a new computer now just to be safe."

Now, if this user wants win 8 than go for it. But he doesn't. He can't stand it. So getting win 7 at this point is perfectly fine, and is actually a good choice.:thumb: It's his choice in the end, I just don't think we should be telling him things based off of what might happen in a year or two or more. ( the chances of support being dropped within a year are pretty much 0 )

Last edited:
relax Nikon. The government aren't interested in what YOU are doing.
And they could spy on you whatever OS you are using. Win7, Win8, Mac OSX. It doesn't really matter.

A lot of people was very much against upgrading from XP to vista. I see the same with windows 7. But we can't all stay with Win7 forever.
I think windows 10 looks like it's gonna be a worthy successor to Win7.
I'll say get the OS you can find cheapest, Then upgrade to Win10 when it's released.
That's what i would do at least.

Last edited:
relax Nikon. The government aren't interested in what YOU are doing.
And they could spy on you whatever OS you are using. Win7, Win8, Mac OSX. It doesn't really matter.

In Denmark I would agree. But it's different here in the states, the gov here is always looking at what we are doing. And Win 7 is far less track-able than Win 8 or 10. With win 8 Microsoft has the ability to remotely shut down your system, remove files etc. They cannot on win 7 ;) Either way, lets not derail this thread on that.
I think everyone here can agree that until the time being, Win 7 is the better option until you choose to upgrade at a later point.

win7 doesn't need updates
You have to remember, the OS stops getting updates after they decide there is nothing else to update

Both of these statements are very, very false.

OS's always needs updates as there are always security flaws being found that need patching. The reason OS's stop getting updates is because a company like Microsoft has determined it's not worth their money to keep paying people to fix software that's 1) very old and 2) versions out of date.

Both of these statements are very, very false.

OS's always needs updates as there are always security flaws being found that need patching. The reason OS's stop getting updates is because a company like Microsoft has determined it's not worth their money to keep paying people to fix software that's 1) very old and 2) versions out of date.

Well I can't argue on that, because my statements were based off of I haven't seen any updates from microsoft on their OS's in quite some time :p

Who cares if the government looks at all your stuff. If you aren't doing anything wrong whats the problem? They don't give a crap what 99 percent of the people in this country are doing. Look at my computer and all you will see is my boring ass emails, my games, and my resume (plus some old school work I prob haven't deleted). Look away. People are so concerned about privacy and I have no idea why.

Computer related stuff now: please get Windows 8 and install classic shell. Windows 8 has so many optimizations over 7. Then get Windows 10. DirectX 12. Nuff said. Plus further optimizations

I disagree that Win 8 is more complicated to use than Win 7. I have both Win 7 and Win 8 machines and bounce back and forth between them thru out the day and, for the most part, I don't even think about the fact that I'm on a different machine with a different OS. I use the same set of programs on each and there is very little difference. Of course, I stick with the desktop on Win 8 and don't use any "modern" apps.

I am with Strollin and I am in the same boat. My DV6 laptop runs Win 7 Ultimate and my spare Asus laptop runs Win 8.1 Pro and so does our Acer Touchscreen at home runs Win 8.1 Pro. I quite like Win 8/8.1, I just don't use any of apps or metro side of it and have no troubles. I haven't even resorted to installing a 3rd party start menu and it still works flawlessly.

Well I can't argue on that, because my statements were based off of I haven't seen any updates from microsoft on their OS's in quite some time :p

Updates get released for Win 8/8.1 every few week and as for Win 7 I think updates are still being made correct me if I am wrong..

It's not just MS that can stop supporting an OS. For example I'm a Vista user waiting for Win10 and I can't install the latest version of Photoshop CS as it's not supported, I also can't run Unreal 4 as again it's not supported just an example. The same will eventually happen to 7.

Back
Top Bottom