Finding out the speed (MHz) of RAM

Are you nuts? :lol:

How does a higher rated memory gonna shorten the life of a board? It's just max speed without running into errors. That way I have a safe margin and also it allows me to set my memory to extreme mode.

Are you nuts? :lol:

How does a higher rated memory gonna shorten the life of a board? It's just max speed without running into errors. That way I have a safe margin and also it allows me to set my memory to extreme mode.

Lol I might be XD. I'm just curious why it would say the mobo can only do a certain Mhz if it would work fine without any problems? I think my mobo is rated for 2033, does that mean I could go somewhere like 2440 or whatever the next level is without problems ( Besides over heating ram lol )?:confused:

Some BIOS will allow you to do that, it's called OCing the memory just like you would with the CPU. It's called XMS.

By the way, I'm running at 1600 on this board (just checked the BIOS) so the memory matched it. I bought this memory when I was running my i3 system (upgrade from 2x2 memory now 2x4) and that runs at 1333.

So all is good. :)

Last edited:
Just because I have 1600 doesn't mean I'm running it at 1600.

Get it?

Interesting idea, never really thought about it that way, I wonder if there've been any studies made to see how this affects the life of the component!

I guess it depends how hot it's designed to run, I suspect the 1600Mhz models are simply factory overclocked 1333 models, but I don't know for sure!

Looks like I know what my google project is for today :angel:

I think they grade the memory chips the same way they grade the CPUs. They test them at speeds til it produce errors then back it down and mark it.

The advantage of over rating the memory (1600 running at 1333) is that you can tighten up the timings known as turbo or extreme mode in the BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom