Finding out the speed (MHz) of RAM

Unique

Beta member
Hello,
I am trying to calculate the speed of the RAM I have in my computer (6GB), so I know which RAM I need to buy. I know you need to have a program called CPU-Z, which I have already got, but I am not sure what I have to do to calculate the RAM.
When I got the memory tab in the CPU-Z program, it shows the following:
27d7944c8461abbfe01ed86141da4ad5.png

If someone could give me the calculation, or calculate it for me, and give me the calculation so I know for future preference.

Thanks in advance,
Unique

Do you have DDR2 or DDR3? Just make sure that's always the same, any DDR3 is compatible with another DDR3 in most cases. It looks to me like you have 1600Mhz ram, I do not know if it's DDR3 or DDR2.

Here in the UK and I note you are in the UK, we can use The Crucial website to automatically tell you how much RAM and what type you can use.

Welcome to Crucial UK GBP Store Organization

I have used this method extensively over the years with no problems although I do delete the scanner once it has done it's thing but that is just my paranoia.

Do you have DDR2 or DDR3? Just make sure that's always the same, any DDR3 is compatible with another DDR3 in most cases. It looks to me like you have 1600Mhz ram, I do not know if it's DDR3 or DDR2.

In the picture it clearly states that its DDR3.

In the picture it clearly states that its DDR3.
LOL I'm so blind :rofl: :lol:
Okay, so for DDR3 ram, I just do 800 * 2 = 1600mhz to get the speed of my RAM?

Unique

No, you can buy different Mhz of ram. The ram you have is 1600Mhz, so you can buy one stick ( or 2 )of 1600mhz. See here: Amazon.com: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Blue (HX316C10FK2/8): Computers & Accessories

YOu can buy ram in many different speeds. They start around 800Mhz and ram can go up to 2666Mhz. HOWEVER, you need a really good motherboard that supports 2666Mhz, I assume your motherboard can only handle up to 1600Mhz, so that is what I would recommend buying. :)

You need to keep things in mind for future upgrades:

1- Compatibility with the mother board/what the mother board supports.

2- Some problem don't show up often, but they are there, if you don't use the exact same RAM. Those problems could happen in some critical times. I used Kingstone RAM chips of the same speed and same, but different suffix, and problems happened only in heavy video gaming and after long times.

3- Some times no software can give you the real speed the RAM is capable of. Sometimes it cannot be reached without activating a special profile from bios. I suggest taking out the ram and read what's printed on it. Or if you can get the name from CPU-Z, search for that name.

Back
Top Bottom