Random Shutdowns During Gaming

What make is your PSU? 850 watts is plenty but a cheap make may boast that wattage but does not deliver it.

What make is your PSU? 850 watts is plenty but a cheap make may boast that wattage but does not deliver it.

Corsair HX850 Gold Rated. Brand new as of December. My question is, if it was the PSU, why does the computer start back up?

Corsair HX850 Gold Rated. Brand new as of December. My question is, if it was the PSU, why does the computer start back up?

When it dies, it's probably resetting it's self. Thus it is freshly reset every time the computer turns on. What I imagine is that the PSU has a certain point when it automatically shuts off when it sees something going on. Like an emergency type system.

That. The PSU is protecting itself and the board. Something on the board is causing problems.

There's a possibility that the video card has gone defective. If you still have your old video card put it back in and see how it behaves.

That. The PSU is protecting itself and the board. Something on the board is causing problems.

There's a possibility that the video card has gone defective. If you still have your old video card put it back in and see how it behaves.

It's possible something on the board is wrong yeah, but it's equally possible the PSU is defective. I say that because I went through this and replaced damn near every part and nothing fixed it, until I got the new PSU.

Last edited:
If this is all true, then why does it take hours for it to finally shut down, then will shut down if I try gaming right after it restarts, yet will work just fine for another couple hours if I let it set for a while?

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

No I sold that. If the new cooler does not work, I'm selling the card as defective and buying a GTX 970.

If this is all true, then why does it take hours for it to finally shut down, then will shut down if I try gaming right after it restarts, yet will work just fine for another couple hours if I let it set for a while?

I don't know why. But as I said, I had 100000% the same thing. Sometimes it ran for over 6hours, sometimes only 10 minutes, and so on. I imagine it is just sporadic. I gets a glitch, and doing certain things speeds the process up. MAYBE the PSU over heats it'self.

Sounds like either a power or overheating issue, the 290x is a particularly power-hungry card and needs efficient cooling!

I'll just start with: When you fitted the card did you ensure that you removed two of the metal panels at the back, on the dual slot cards the ventilation is usually at the rear and the hot air is expelled through a vent on a second metal slot. I've had multiple PCs come to me that have been overheating because the rear vent on the graphics card was covered up!

Back
Top Bottom