Help with some scanning please

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Hi Folks,
My mother passed away recently and when clearing out all of her belongings I have come across numerous old photographs from many many years ago.

What I would like to do is to get them to those relatives who are still with us and, to revive some pleasant memories.

When I have offered something for sale in the past I have used Photobucket to get the image showing. I am wondering if this might be the best route to go to achieve my aim. I am thinking that to try to email the photo's might prove to be a bit difficult bearing in mind the size that the file might end up.

So folks, am I thinking along the right lines here? I am thinking that I can just email the family with a link to Photobucket. Is it possible to create something like folders within Photobucket of say 'Smith Family' 'Robinson family' etc.

Do the family members have to be subscribed to Photobucket or will the just be able to click on the link and be able to view? Also, is there a way to restrict what I allow them to see, i.e. just the folder of their family?

And finally (I think) I've noticed that when I have been into Photobucket, that there are a number of 'Links' provided, how do I know which one I need and which will work easiest and best.

Many thanks

I'd get some photo stock grade printer sheets and make copies of the photographs and simply mail them out. In today's isolated society, email and photo bucket like web sites are cold and impersonal. Making copies and mailing them out is like sending Mum on a visit.
Besides I'd rather have something in my hands I could cry over.

If I were you, I would scan the picture to your computer, and then upload the file to your email Via " attachments " and then send a "multi" email to all of your family with one click. That way they can choose to print, or just save the image. Photobucket makes it a little more difficult for people, I'd personally just email it.

If I were you, I would scan the picture to your computer, and then upload the file to your email Via " attachments " and then send a "multi" email to all of your family with one click. That way they can choose to print, or just save the image. Photobucket makes it a little more difficult for people, I'd personally just email it.

The thought in my mind regarding sending by email is that there are quite a number of piccys for each family, say 20 or so and I thought that with so many attachments it just wouldn't go. I seem to remember getting a message a long time ago, along the lines of 'File too large' or something. I prefer to send them as individual photo's so that they can view them easier.

NikonGuy, thanks for your thoughts but I don't really want to get into printing. Thanks anyway.

Depending on how may pictures and how many relatives, printing and mailing via the postal service could get fairly expensive.

I think Photobucket would work but I have never used it so can't say for sure. I have used DropBox and know for sure that you can share photos (and other files) on DropBox and simply email your relatives a link to the folder where the photos are stored. You can make it so anyone with the link can view the photos (they don't need DropBox) or you can set a password. You can also set a limit and have access to the photos terminate after a set date.

Depending on how may pictures and how many relatives, printing and mailing via the postal service could get fairly expensive.

I think Photobucket would work but I have never used it so can't say for sure. I have used DropBox and know for sure that you can share photos (and other files) on DropBox and simply email your relatives a link to the folder where the photos are stored. You can make it so anyone with the link can view the photos (they don't need DropBox) or you can set a password. You can also set a limit and have access to the photos terminate after a set date.

Thanks strollin, I have heard of people using 'DropBox' before. I will have a look at it. Thanks again.

The thought in my mind regarding sending by email is that there are quite a number of piccys for each family, say 20 or so and I thought that with so many attachments it just wouldn't go. I seem to remember getting a message a long time ago, along the lines of 'File too large' or something. I prefer to send them as individual photo's so that they can view them easier.

NikonGuy, thanks for your thoughts but I don't really want to get into printing. Thanks anyway.

Nono, I said THEY can print if they want too IF YOU send it via email.. I never said anything about you printing lol. I was saying if you email the picture, the recipients if they wanted too, they can print it easy right away.

Tinypic.com is my fav upload site too.

Last edited:
What about getting a USB stick and putting the photos on that way then handing it straight over to your relatives..

Back
Top Bottom