Connecting a 400Gb IDE hard drive to a Pentium 4

Jeez, I don't know what to do. Looks like I won't be able to do this without any real help.

Does nobody know about the jumper diagram, there are two jumpers in all of them, why do I only have one?
I'm very glad that you don't consider the time I've spent typing in the info I've given you plus the time I spent finding the install guide for that drive to be "any real help". It feels good to be appreciated.

In the diagrams, if the jumper is oriented up & down that means it is jumpering those 2 pins. if it is oriented left & right it is simply being stored unused.

You need 2 jumpers. You can get one from another drive or you should be able to get one at a local shop. They're not hard to come by.

All the info you need is in the install guide I posted the link to. Stop being so helpless.

jmp.jpg

Last edited:
Wartung, if you are setting up the drive as a slave, there is one setting on the jumpers which only requires one jumper. "15 Head - Slave" you can see it on the pictures you have sent us. Have you tried that setting?

Make sure the other drive is set to Master.

I'm very glad that you don't consider the time I've spent typing in the info I've given you plus the time I spent finding the install guide for that drive to be "any real help". It feels good to be appreciated.

In the diagrams, if the jumper is oriented up & down that means it is jumpering those 2 pins. if it is oriented left & right it is simply being stored unused.

You need 2 jumpers. You can get one from another drive or you should be able to get one at a local shop. They're not hard to come by.

All the info you need is in the install guide I posted the link to. Stop being so helpless.

View attachment 1755

Listen, I'm sorry man, it was a bad choice of words. When I said real help I meant like paying someone to help me, as in finding a professional. This is like a last resort, I want to be able to figure this out myself but I don't know what else to do.

I appreciate you telling me about getting other jumpers, how they're not hard to come by. That's exactly the info I needed. I really appreciate it

About your other point, the jumpers being sideways are only being stored. I read over that link you sent my but I guess I kind of skimmed it and missed that point. So, this means that chances are I don't need a second one, and if I do then I can find one somewhere anyway. Great, thanks.

To tell you the truth though, I have a feeling this is not a jumper issue, though I'll give that a try right now, I think it's something different.

Is it possible it's broken? Or my cable is broken, or the motherboard is broken or can't handle it because it's too big for my old motherboard?

Wartung, if you are setting up the drive as a slave, there is one setting on the jumpers which only requires one jumper. "15 Head - Slave" you can see it on the pictures you have sent us. Have you tried that setting?
Make sure the other drive is set to Master.
If he uses the 15 head configuration he won't get the full use of the drive.

I tried that anyway just to see if it would work. It seems the motherboard cannot see the drive, is it possible they're not compatible? Also, the other drive is set to master. There isn't even any pictures on the other drive but it boots from that drive, the OS is on it and it works fine.

What is your motherboard? Socket 423, socket 478 or LGA 775?

It's possible that it cannot see the drive this big but you can use a disk manager to partition it to usable sizes.

There is a notation in the install guide I linked to regarding a 137GB limit with some OSes or BIOSes. Since his system isn't seeing the drive at all, I don't think it's a motherboard or BIOS issue.

Wartung, does the drive spin up? Can you hear the heads seeking? It's possible that the drive is bad. It's possible you could have a bad cable but less likely.

That HGST is a Apple drive. Most likely it's firmware is for Apple systems. And it's older than Moses. The Max appears to have come over on the Mayflower.
Why are you messing with such older tech?

To my knowledge, there's nothing special in a hdd's firmware that makes it only Apple compatible. If the drive was originally partitioned and formatted for an Apple then it will need to be re-partitioned and formatted to be used on a Windows machine but the BIOS should still recognize it.

Wartung - Where did you buy this drive?

Back
Top Bottom