Intel Core i7 920 - To buy or not to buy?

InvalidName

Solid State Member
Hi,

I apparently have a "Gaming PC" but its never really been that great at its intended purpose. I figured out after running a performance check that it is the CPU, it's poor. It's an Intel Xeon 5140 @ 2.3GHz.

Should i buy an Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz, i have found one for £30? My main question is, is it literally as simple as pop the old one out, stick a new one in (with the wristband on). Or is it more complicated like this particular CPU won't work with this particular motherboard and so on so on...

Thanks for reading :)

You can't.
The 920 is for the X58 platform, which uses the LGA1366 socket. Your CPU are installed on motherboard with the LGA771 socket.

Ahh okay that's what i was wondering. Leaves me with me with more questions than answers haha but both good answers.

I have been looking at an Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (£30!)

Would this fit into my PC with no complications?

It says it is "Quad core" and my current CPU is "Dual core" is this a problem?

I just looked up how much my current CPU is worth on ebay.. £2.50! Please help me find a new CPU that would fit into my PC haha. I'm in desperate need.

Best shortcut to finding what other chips work in that board is to go to the makers website and pull up the specs for it. There should be a chart that specs out what all CPU chips work with that board. It's then a simple matter of deciding if you want to go that route or upgrade your motherboard. If you have older hardware it just might be time to consider a new build.

Thanks a lot :) I found out that i need a CPU that fits an LGA 771 socket. I found plenty of cheap CPU's and i'm close to purchasing one.

The only issue is do i need to get a "Dual core" which is the same as my current CPU or will a "Quad core" CPU work?

Quad core will work and you should def go with the highest end one you can find that fits in your motherboard. But even a quad core Xeon is not going to be that much better for gaming. Xeons are workstation cpus but a quad core higher clocked Xeon will still give you better performance than your current one.

Back
Top Bottom