First build

You think it's just for shits an giggles that the 3 of us disagree?

1: Intel is overpriced.
Ohh really??. You can get the I5-4690K for the same price (or even slightly cheaper) than the FX-9590.
And the top of the line Intel Core i7-4790K devils canyon CPU for the 1150 socket can you get for 340.

2: lost "only" in single core.
You see, this as where you can easily tell how effective an architecture is. Single core tests are important as well.
The I5 takes a dumb on the AMD in single core rendering.
Not all programs can utilize 8 cores effectively. If you disabled 4 cores from the amd the I5 would win in most (if not all) rendering benchmarks. even if you only disabled 3 core on the AMD the intel would still win. I believe it would tie in at 4 intel cores vs 6 amd cores.
Benchmarks like cinebench are heavily multi threaded. So it really depends on how good the program is to utilize all the cores.
To be fair, most professional editing software are excellent at that.

But the piledrive architecture is still a piece of garbage. Only reason it's relevant is because it's cheap.
Why else does it take 4 extra cores and 800mhz each core to beat a I5-4690K?

Not to mention the heat issues and power usage.

That AMD is better than the i5! The new line in the FX series has VERY low heat issues, that's a thing of the past. AMD has come out with NEW technology, people just have a hard time accepting AMD is finally catching up! Everyone are just Intel fanboys, but really, AMD has become better and better, while still not on top they are getting close. The i5 beats the 6300 in single by very LITTLE. It does not even come close to " taking a dump " on the AMD. The intel won single core by .2 points! The AMD score was 7.8. The Intel score on that was 8.0! That is just barely winning by a hair. And power usage, really? lol.

I would have agreed with you about 4 years ago that AMD was better value for money... but in my opinion AMD have feel behind in both graphics cards (behind Nvidia) and CPUs (behind Intel).

Single core performance is often a necessity with some software that doesn't support multithreading.

I do however agree that there are some tests which the AMD CPUs (for the cost) would be superior, I would imagine for sheer number crunching, the higher clock speeds would be beneficial!

But, when it comes to i5 4690k level I would definitely go for Intel, AMD does need to work a little hard on their architecture to keep up, but to be honest at the price point, for the average person, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference between AMD/Intel practically, a machine using an AMD CPU would still be a solid build!

Power usage and heat output are important things Nikon. Some people like to save money on their electricity bill... also you can get a lower wattage PSU with an intel cpu and save some money. Intel has AMD beat in every facet except APU's. AMD literally gave up the ghost on their laptop cpus because they know they can't compete with Intel in that department. Soon they will probably give up on their higher end desktop cpus as well.

Power usage and heat output are important things Nikon.

I know. Heat is not an issue with the new AMD's. I mean yeah the 8Core 4.7ghz AMD needs to be cooled a lot, it's also the fastest on the market. And it costs the same as the i5. But the AMD Fx series has got their heating problems quite under control. I should know, I switched from Intel systems to AMD 2 years ago. Before I got my water cooler 50c was the hottest it got on OC with the STOCK fan. That's really good. The 8Core is a monster, yes it takes power, again it's the most powerful on the market. It is more powerful than the i7Octa core. The extra power it takes vs the Intel i5 is literally $1 more a month. My computer costs $7-$9 to run a month. And I have a dual monitor setup. And it's running all the time daily. I can agree that Intel does beat AMD in the area that they are generally faster. I agree with that. But they are exactly like apple when it comes to being over priced. The price you pay for what you get is just way over board, You get an AMD that ranks a total score of 8.5vs an Intel that get's an 8.6, with the AMD "Value" score is 9.2, and the Intel scores a 6.8! ( AMD Fx6300 vs Intel i5 3570k )

Your 6300 came close to my i5-3570?

Let's take a look at Passmark:

AMD FX 6300 - 6361

i5 3570 - 6993

Close but not close enough and you have two extra cores.

Your 6300 came close to my i5-3570?

Let's take a look at Passmark:

AMD FX 6300 - 6361

i5 3570 - 6993

Close but not close enough and you have two extra cores.

All testers vary none of them show the same result, similar but not the same. I did a direct computer to computer test with my friend who lives close by, who has the 3570k. He actually got pissed at me and blocked my skype for a while because he lost the best. lol. For multitasking I won, for gaming he won by a hair, but for IMO a Cpu that can Game really good, and can multitask even better than intel is all around a better Cpu.

I can get an FX-6300 for £81.16, a quick search for an i5 3570 came up with: £182.16

So, going purely on benchmark and price, the FX-6300 is much better value for money.

Please note guys that I've gone entirely on benchmark here and am not comparing it to real life performance, if people are going to use benchmarks as a comparison, then that's the result. Fact, not opinion.

I can get an FX-6300 for £81.16, a quick search for an i5 3570 came up with: £182.16

So, going purely on benchmark and price, the FX-6300 is much better value for money.

Please note guys that I've gone entirely on benchmark here and am not comparing it to real life performance, if people are going to use benchmarks as a comparison, then that's the result. Fact, not opinion.

:D I like this ^^

Regarding the heat issue, plan on using the cooler Master CPU fan that I've already purchased. Maybe in the future I'll go liquid but that is a little beyond me at the moment I think.

Back
Top Bottom