Copying files to SD Card

oldun

Baseband Member
I have just bought a new card radio that has a SD card slot. I set about copying mp3 files from my laptop to the sdcard.

The file structure is (level 1) Folders for Artists with (level 2) sub folders for each Album. The mp3 files are then stored in the level 2 folders.

After selecting the initial batch of mp3 files on my laptop and the selecting copy to SD card I was informed that the total storage space was 5.66 GB, which was no problem as I had a 16 GB card.

I started the copying process and left the computer to its own means. When the copying was complete I checked the SD card and found the following.

1. Memory used 5.66 GB
2. Folders/files on SDcard - just the level 1 folders - no sub folders and no mp3 files.

I then put the sd card into the card reader on the car radio and it list all the mp3 files that I transferred over.

So I know the level 2 folders and mp3 files are on the sd card - why are they invisible to the laptop?

In order to see the files you have to open up a folder,then click on tools, and scroll down to folder options and click on the list tab,then where it says show hidden files and folders and put a check mark there and hit appy.

This should allow you to see the hidden folder and the MP3's.

My Ipod is the same way. I have to go to folder options, select see hidden files and folders. Go into my ipod and open up the folder where the music is stored in order to see the files in there.

Just a postscript.

I formatted the sd card, re-copied all the mp3 files back onto it with the same result.

The larger sd card I purchased from Amazon arrived this morning and I copied all mp3 files onto it but this time they are all visible. So the strange effect seems to be card dependent!

On the original card, were the mp3 files able to be played? If they were definitely not there, then I would ask where you bought the card. There have been scams on Ebay where people have purchased cards that claim to be a certain size and will report they are that size but are actually much smaller.

Yes - the files were there and were seen and could be played on the car radio.

Back
Top Bottom