Shopping for a cloud nas box

It came today and I'm impressed. It's quick even over the dual band wireless. It's plugged in to the Uverse router along with a 5Ghz router being used as a AP. My TP-Link dual band dongle allows me to connect to the 5 and 2.4 at the same time for some pretty impressive speeds.
I've copied all my movies and pictures from my tablet and my laptop. Didn't take long at all. So far I've sent it 168GB.

The software interface is simple to operate and I had it set up in very little time with out having to refer to the manual or on line help. WD offers a little software package that lets you back up either using the built in format which just backs up the system files or set up your own file packages. Either way this is the only disappointment. It is so incredibly slow. You can only get that if you buy the program or buy the drive. I wouldn't pay for it. I want something a whole lot more flexible and much, much quicker.

So far I give it an 8 out of 10.

And now there's a problem...

Every since I installed the console and user software, windows explorer has been crashing. Pretty regularly I might add. I normally don't have problems with my computers so this is annoying to say the least.

Got any ideas?

And now there's a problem...

Every since I installed the console and user software, windows explorer has been crashing. Pretty regularly I might add. I normally don't have problems with my computers so this is annoying to say the least.

Got any ideas?

Seti , you think maybe doing a system restore and roll back your computer to an earlier time before you installed the software.You think that might help?

what's the point of the user software & console? I'd imagine on local network you could just map the drive locally or just navigate to it in windows explorer whenever you'd needed it. Configure it through the web interface and then if it's a cloud box i'd imagine it has some kind of globally accessible website you can manage your files with.

I believe it's for the "cloud" functions (e.g. accessing away from home.

the internet is full of reports of this software being pretty crappy! - meaning you'll probably need to remove it, and use FTP or something to access files remotely using no-ip or dyn DNS to get a domain name (unless you've got a static IP)

I have an irrational hatred of the Western digital cloud devices.

this is why.
I work in IT.
clouds are used in network diagrams to represent the unprepresentable, like the internet, with all the routes that can be taken, and sheer amount of devices, sure you could map it, but it's probably going to have changed before you finish.

with VM hosting, (cloud hosting) at one data centre, it's cloudy because the VMs can run on any number of hosts, and you don't care.
with storage it's generally stretched over multiple controllers (and multiple disks) (and you don't care what disk or disk controller you're connecting to
or all of that is replicated across several data centres. (and you don't care what DC you;re connecting to!)

being a "cloud" implies redundancy, and ability to access even when shit hits the fan.

not a single disk (or bunch of disks) running on a single controller, plugged into a single outlets attached to a single feed from the grid with a single network connection to a single home broadband with a single ADSL connection in it, in a single location.

Where anything from a power cut, to your cat knocking over the undrank coffee that you left on the side can take your western digital "cloud storage" offline!!

because, lets face it you could draw that in detail on a post-it note.

(it's just the cloud name I've got a problem with. the actual produce is neither here nor there.)

you or I could build something better for not a lot more, but they are simple plug in devices, not buy components configure services devices...

Rant over, - there is no fix. you just cant use the software that comes with it!

I welcome your input. On my laptop and my Android tablet I have the MyCloud apps. It feels like a FTP with a UI overlay. Drag and drop and copy and paste both work to move files from and to the laptop. On the tablet it's a scaled down version of the laptop.

On the laptop I also have the console Quick View software. This is what I think is the culprit. When it's running in the tray, WE acts up. When I exit the program, it stops misbehaving. I don't use the console except to check on what's left of the storage space.

I think WD needs to drop the Cloud moniker for those products. It's a fancy name for a NAS.

Back
Top Bottom