Cynthia passed her driving test today!

The world moves ahead. Manual gives way to automatic. I learned how to drive on a manual but took the test on a auto.
I passed my written and road test with a 98 first time. I missed how far back to stay behind a fire truck.

The world moves ahead. Manual gives way to automatic. I learned how to drive on a manual but took the test on a auto.
I passed my written and road test with a 98 first time. I missed how far back to stay behind a fire truck.
Nice! I wish that I had learned manual, but sadly never had the chance. Cynthia has missed that chance too. We only have auto at this house.

I lived with manuals (not user manuals lol) for sometime. They are more dependable/reliable, have more kick, and better to undergo different driving conditions... not comfortable tho!

I tried the same care with both drivetrains (if I get the expression right) and notice a great difference specially in torque. Those manuals are crazy at pick-ups! A 4 cyl manual, if handed right, could at some cases out perform a 6 cyl auto at lower RPM's, specially in stop an go conditions. Oh yeah, manuals can be jump started by pushing if the battery dies :D

Yeah and they're embarrassing when you let the clutch out too fast in downtown rush hour traffic. :whistling:

Since I'm a retired mechanic I had a secret that nobody could figure out. I like to buy standard shift cars and put an auto tranny in 'em.

Why?

The standard shift rear end is lower geared than than the auto shift rear end and as a result my cars were zippy. My friends always says damn, your cars are fast. WTH you do ??

I just tell 'em I tune 'em up. :lol:

Yeah and they're embarrassing when you let the clutch out too fast in downtown rush hour traffic. :whistling:

True that :D

But good drivers like me don't let that happen :)

I also noticed that RWD's have better clutch grip. They don't cut-off as fast as FWD's. Note sure about AWD's.

Since I'm a retired mechanic I had a secret that nobody could figure out. I like to buy standard shift cars and put an auto tranny in 'em.

Why?

The standard shift rear end is lower geared than than the auto shift rear end and as a result my cars were zippy. My friends always says damn, your cars are fast. WTH you do ??

I just tell 'em I tune 'em up. :lol:

That secret of yours is kinda common knowledge where I live (or do I just know it?) :D. It is specially well known with Ford's Panther platforms (Crown Victoria and its family) and with Mercedes' W124's and W126's, in which the rear axle gear is replaced with tighter or wider ones, depending on the need.

But, and please correct me if I'm wrong, many auto trannies have less speeds and tighter gear ratios which means worse economy, less acceleration on mid to high speeds, and lower max speed. The engine could roar a lot on highways which is kinda annoying. In town driving would be fun tho.

I personally would go with it too if I find an auto gearbox with the same number of speeds of the original manual, and with a good ratio in the overdrive speed. I drive highways a lot.

But anyways, on slow down - accelerate conditions, the manual is still better. I hate manuals, by the way, but I don't deny its merits :)

Since I'm a retired mechanic I had a secret that nobody could figure out. I like to buy standard shift cars and put an auto tranny in 'em. ...
That's just plain crazy. It's much smarter to simply order the car with the desired rear end you want OR change out the rear end, rather than change out the tranny.

You can get the same effect by changing the tires to ones with a larger circumference.

I drove manual transmission cars for many years but now would not consider one because I have a bum left knee and working the clutch really bothers it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom