Mobo upgrade second opinion

happygoluffy2000

Beta member
Hi, this is my mobo http://www.ascendtech.us/ecs-mcp61pm-am-dual-core-am2-motherboard_i_mb64ecsmcp61pma.aspx
I want to upgrade light, just the mobo without needing to buy a bunch of new parts. Here's what I'm thinking of replacing it with. I figure with this mobo;asroc a785gm-le I can keep my old parts am2 processor ddr2 memory 667mhz and upgrade more parts sometime later.

Your board is an AM3 with DDR3 and the board you want is an AM2-AM2+ with DDR2.

better check again mate. :)

Celery, the board he wants can support AM3, the board he currently has won't, and both boards have DDR2 memory! Are you sure you looked up the right ones?

@happy - We're now at the stage where DDR4 is becoming more popular, with this upgrade you'll risk being left behind, and although the AM3 chips (like Phenom II) are supported, I highly doubt any more chips will be released on that chipset, meaning that you'll quickly be behind in technology again.

The Phenom II will be an incredible upgrade over any of the AM2 chips, but I would suggest biting the bullet and going for a modern board with at least DDR3 RAM onboard. Intel in my opinion are the better option at the moment for the price points, so you'd be looking for a Motherboard/CPU/RAM bundle which would bring your PC up to spec!

If you're going the AMD route, you'd probably be better off going for a CPU on the AM3+ socket (and using an external graphics card for games) or a CPU on the FM2+ socket (this chip has integrated graphics processing, better than what's on the motherboard, but not as good as an external card)

Hmm... I googled the boards he named and I came up with them from their maker.

Back
Top Bottom