Looking for a riding mower

That was before we had OSHA. :)

When I used to work in a steel fab plant I was using a drill to deburr the holes on iron plates. An OSHA agent came in to look over us and he saw the drill (mine) with a broken housing on the cord. He walked over and picked it up by the cord, pulled a pair of dykes out of his pocket and cut the cord off. Then he walked off.

I'm standing there thinking WTF am I gonna use now? I ended up using the vise grips on a drill bit and deburr by hand.

That was before we had OSHA. :)

When I used to work in a steel fab plant I was using a drill to deburr the holes on iron plates. An OSHA agent came in to look over us and he saw the drill (mine) with a broken housing on the cord. He walked over and picked it up by the cord, pulled a pair of dykes out of his pocket and cut the cord off. Then he walked off.

I'm standing there thinking WTF am I gonna use now? I ended up using the vise grips on a drill bit and deburr by hand.

It's called electrical tape. if ya have an open cord damaged in such a fashion, fix it up with electrical tape. We have dogs, and as puppies at some point they are not trained not to eat things. My dad had just gotten a brand new power drill, and the dog decided to chew up the cable. A little re wiring and electrical tape and it was all set to go, like new ;) All in all the OSHA guy is an ass lol :lol:

It won't matter. If the OSHA guy see a taped up cord he'll cut that sucker off.

NikonGuy OSHA is harsh on work sites because in doing so it keeps us safe. OSHA specs are designed to let us keep our fingers and toes attached and keep seeing out of the MkI eyeballs we came in to this world with. Just to mention a few items.

It's a government agency so some of the rules seem convoluted but once you get in the habit of following them, it's second nature.
I got fined a car payment, a house note, and life insurance payment one time for working off a 6 foot aluminum ladder. That's what it equaled out to. I had to scramble to catch up on those and the wife was pissed off for a while.
Point was taken seriously by me and I bought a 12', 8', 6', 4', and a 2 step, all fiberglass and OSHA approved. Cost me a bundle in '80's dollars but I never got fined again. I got inspected pretty regular for a while but the inspector saw that I was taking the matter seriously and eventually left me alone. I had a drill short out in my hands and to this day I think the old boy just might have saved my life. If I had been on an aluminum latter on concrete I most likely wouldn't be here typing this.

That still has nothing to do with the very original point I only wanted to make, wearing safety glasses for a very simple Made in china bookshelf is pointless. Anyone can protect themselves how they want. My OPINION is that it can be over done too. This is all about opinions. And Cutting the cable ( Destroying ) on a tool, for something that could be fixed and save $$ is over doing it. I would much rather pay $1 for electrical tape, and use up the entire roll of it to securely wrap up and protect the cord than waist upwards of $100 by throwing the damn thing away. You have your opinion. I have mine. Neither of us is particular "right" as it works either way and there is no official rule on what to do when you are working by yourself at home.

And by curiosity, how would you die from using a 6ft ladder, of any kind? The chance of falling off is the same as any ladder, so the only other way would be breaking. But I highly doubt if it could break so easily and you used it by recommended weight it can hold, it would have even made it onto the market? It's illogical for a company to make something that severely risks the life of it's users, as that can be massive law suits and bankrupt the company real fast.

Last edited:
The case on the drill became energized and had I been on an aluminum ladder I would have been in the path to ground through the ladder. I'm getting the impression you just like to argue.

Who is the one picking out all of my posts? Who is the one going against EVERYthing I say? Who is telling stories WITHOUT saying how they have any relevance? Who is calling me a troll? Who is the one picking arguments with no bases to do so? You said you were on an aluminum ladder, you did NOT mention 1 thing about any electricity, so I asked you to clear up what the aluminum ladder had to do with anything. I post 1 thing, and who are the ones going around calling it out? I the entire time ONLY back up what I said to start with, every other person is the one going on farther on something that really does not matter. Celery is the only one here who has any balls, because he just took what I said, got the point I wanted to make, and didn't make anything else to argue against it. Does he disagree? I'm sure he does, but it's un important I only made my point so ya'll leave the alone about it. Then Draygoes comes along as a total ass, with his comment CLEARLY trying to start crap with me, but I didn't even respond to that because what he said was just trying to get me mad, so I didn't let it bother me. You are the ones picking fights out of nothing, just because you don't agree and you try to force me to agree. NOT EVERYONE AGREES ON EVERYTHING. If I really wanted to argue I would have responded to Draygoes rude remark, but I didn't because it's was pointless. Go back to bed, because clearly you woke up on the wrong side, calling me a troll and saying I just want to argue. When EVERYTHING I write points to the opposite. But you are just busy nit picking my posts to make it look how you want it to look. Good god.

I'm just going to end this nonsense. I only made my point on what I think about the safety precautions. I think they are too often over done, but that's just my view on it, that doesn't make anything right or wrong. Same for everyone here. There should not be any sort of flame argument over this, we live our lives how we want, it should not bother anyone else. No one is trying to change anyones mind, so lets just move on with our lives. Thank you.

Last edited:
OSHA is harsh on work sites because in doing so it keeps us safe. OSHA specs are designed to let us keep our fingers and toes attached and keep seeing out of the MkI eyeballs we came in to this world with. Just to mention a few items.

I have to agree with this....OSHA is very strict when it comes to regulations.

Back
Top Bottom